    Are you sure? I have a first-generation slot-loading iMac DV, and it
    has Firewire.[/QUOTE]

    The slot-loading iMac-350 doesn't have FW, only two USB ports.

    Bev A. Kupf, Oct 5, 2004

  2. Jean S. Barto

    Bev A. Kupf Guest

    Oh, my 400 GHz slot loader isn't first generation?[/QUOTE]

    No. The tray-loading iMacs were Rev. A to Rev. D (I think the max
    processor speed was 333 Mhz). The slot-loading iMacs came after
    that. The Bondi-blue iMac-350 was released at about the same time
    as the iMac/DV. I think what you have was called the iMac/DV.

    Bev A. Kupf, Oct 5, 2004

  3. Jean S. Barto

    Wes Groleau Guest

    My slot-loading Blueberry doesn't have Firewire

    --
    Wes Groleau
    "Grant me the serenity to accept those I cannot change;

    Wes Groleau, Oct 5, 2004
  4. No. The tray-loading iMacs were Rev. A to Rev. D (I think the max
    processor speed was 333 Mhz). The slot-loading iMacs came after
    that.[/QUOTE]

    Sorry; I posted that right after posting that I had a first-generation
    slot-loading iMac.
    And the bondi-blue slot loader doesn't have Firewire? But you are right
    about my iMac being the iMac DV.

    Well, it's actually not mine any more; I sold it to Mary a year and a
    half ago. She replaced it last month with an eMac.

    Michelle Steiner, Oct 5, 2004
  5. Jean S. Barto

    Per Rønne Guest

    Well, I happen to know that some people prefer to run Yellow Dog Linux
    on such a computer. YDL runs faster than MacOS X but is probably not as
    extensive as is MacOS X.

    http://www.yellowdoglinux.com/

    Per Rønne, Oct 5, 2004
  6. Jean S. Barto

    David C. Guest

    The first round of slot-loaders shipped in two models. The low-end
    ones without FireWire, and the "DV" models with FireWire.

    -- David

    David C., Oct 5, 2004
  7. Jean S. Barto

    David C. Guest

    400 GHz? Wow! That's one heck of an overclock. Must require liquid
    nitrogen to keep it cool. :)

    -- David

    David C., Oct 5, 2004
  8. Jean S. Barto

    David C. Guest

    The presence of FireWire isn't the issue. The motherboard revision
    is.

    As others pointed out, some of the early slot-loaders also don't have
    FireWire. It's my understanding that these iMacs have motherboards
    with an older architecture (similar to the tray-loaders) while the DV
    models (with FireWire) have motherboards with a newer architecture.

    But all this is speculation. The requirements for the shipping
    release may not be the same as the developer preview.

    -- David

    David C., Oct 5, 2004
  9. Jean S. Barto

    David C. Guest

    You're right. The 350MHz models don't have FW. Tiger probably isn't
    supported for them either.

    -- David

    David C., Oct 5, 2004
  10. Jean S. Barto

    Paul Fuchs Guest

    Sorry; I posted that right after posting that I had a first-generation
    slot-loading iMac.
    And the bondi-blue slot loader doesn't have Firewire? But you are right
    about my iMac being the iMac DV.

    Well, it's actually not mine any more; I sold it to Mary a year and a
    half ago. She replaced it last month with an eMac.[/QUOTE]

    I'm almost certain that the 400 DV was the first iMac to have FW. Prior
    models just had two USB ports like the clamshell iBooks. I had a rev B
    iMac and found that not having either SCSI or FW really sucked. Bought
    a Que 4x USB burner which couldn't burn faster than 2x.

    Apple did the transition right with the PowerBooks, going from the
    Lombard (SCSI, USB) to the Pismo (FW, USB). The consumer level i
    machines suffered from no high speed transfer other than ethernet.

    Paul Fuchs, Oct 5, 2004
  11. Jean S. Barto

    John Brock Guest

    That is why I suspect the slot-loading iMac 350 *will* support
    Tiger. Because it was part of a family of iMacs which were all
    released at the same time, and some of which have FireWire. I
    would think that they would all have the same motherboard, and
    would therefore all either support or not support Tiger. Because
    some of them -- the ones with FireWire -- definitely do support
    Tiger, it would follow that they all do. Unless of course the
    determining factor is not the motherboard but FireWire itself.

    John Brock, Oct 5, 2004
  12. Jean S. Barto

    Chris Moore Guest

    I was expecting someone to come back and say I should be running OS 9
    or 8.6 on it. Thanks for keeping it original.

    Chris Moore, Oct 6, 2004
  13. That only follows, though, if the only difference between the boards is
    the presence of FireWire. I don't think that's a good assumption. In
    addition to FireWire, the DV had a (supported) video-out connector and a
    slot for an AirPort card. The 350 didn't heave either of those.

    Gregory Weston, Oct 6, 2004
  14. Jean S. Barto

    Snuggles Guest

    Most likely even if Tiger could run on machines without built-in
    firewire support Apple will add a software check that will prevent it
    from installing. However, that does not mean it can't be installed with
    third party software. My Beige G3 does not have the required built-in
    USB support and would not install without non-Apple software.... yet in
    spite of that it runs 10.3.5 wonderfully. I fully expect Tiger to run
    just as well if not better.

    Snuggles, Oct 6, 2004
  15. Jean S. Barto

    Per Rønne Guest

    Try installing Yellow Dog Linux on a separate partition, and return to
    the group with a description on how it works. You can have both
    operating systems installed, and you can run MacOS [X?] from Linux with
    the »Mac on Linux« program.

    Per Rønne, Oct 6, 2004
  16. Jean S. Barto

    David C. Guest

    Bah. Everything beyond system 6.0.8 is bloatware. Screw all that
    PowerPC crap that only wastes disk space without contributing
    anything.

    -- David

    David C., Oct 6, 2004