Minor but annoying problem

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Bob Pownall, Jun 10, 2005.

  1. Bob Pownall

    Bob Pownall Guest

    System: Dell Inspiron 8500 with Windows XP Pro

    I had to wipe my HD and reinstall the OS and all my software.

    Before doing this, when I pressed the volume up/down button or the mute
    button, a little horizontal red status bar would appear just above the
    system tray.

    No longer.

    I'd like it back; I found it a very helpful visual representation of the
    volume level, plus an easy way to tell if I had sound muted or not
    without actually having to play audio file.

    I'm guessing it's some Dell application I need to reinstall, or some
    option I need to enable on some already-installed software, but what?

    I've already tried checking Accessories -> Entertainment -> Volume
    Control. If it's there, I can't find it.

    Bob Pownall

    Bob Pownall, Jun 10, 2005

  2. Bob Pownall

    Bob Pownall Guest

    My thanks to Ricky Parrott for providing the answer in a private email.

    It's an issue with Dell QuickSet.

    Bob Pownall

    Bob Pownall, Jun 14, 2005

  3. Bob Pownall

    Hank Arnold Guest

    Good "Netiquette" says that you should post the solution so that others can
    benefit from it...

    Hank Arnold, Jun 14, 2005
  4. Bob Pownall

    Bob Pownall Guest

    OK, I can see how my response wasn't clear in that response. Let me
    rephrase.

    The volume status bar is an option in Dell QuickSet. To get the status
    bar back, I had to reinstall Dell QuickSet. The volume status bar is
    enabled by pressing the volumne button or the mute button. Alternately,
    you can enable it by right-clicking on the QuickSet icon in the System Tray.

    Bob Pownall

    Bob Pownall, Jun 15, 2005
  5. Bob Pownall

    Hank Arnold Guest

    Appreciate your taking the time to respond........... ;-)

    Hank Arnold, Jun 15, 2005