Missing Microcode for installed CPU's? Tiger i7505

Discussion in 'Tyan' started by Josh Jost, Oct 2, 2003.

  1. Josh Jost

    Josh Jost Guest

    I am having a problem with the Tiger i7505 board. The error message I am
    getting is "Missing Microcode for installed CPU's." The bios version I have
    installed is 1.01. The CPU's are 2.66 Ghz Xeons. They are both the same
    processors. I would say that this board does not support that processor,
    but clearly it is supposed to according to this graph :

    Tiger i7505

    S2668

    2.0*, 2.4* - 3.06 GHz*
    1.8* - 3.0 GHz*
    3.06*

    or if you prefer, http://www.tyan.com/support/html/cpu_xeon_p4.html

    I am a bit baffled as to what the problem could be.

    When booting it does show the status of CPU 2 and not the status of CPU 1.

    Thanks,

    Josh

    Josh Jost, Oct 2, 2003

  2. Josh Jost

    Matt Verona Guest

    Hey Josh,

    Wow! Amazingly I have the exact same system configuration as you (dual 2.66Ghz
    Xeons, Tiger i7505 board [S2668], and the latest v 1.01 BIOS)... and yes
    I have the exact same error.

    My boot eror is as follows, after the two beep code:

    "Missing Microcode Update for installed CPUs"

    When I hit the F1 key the system boots normally from that point on... and
    everything is working perfectly (so far)... I installed the latest Intel
    Frequency Id Utility and it finds both processors correctly, and both are
    shown to have the same steppings, as expected...

    I think the Missing Microcode Update message may be a bogus error?

    I also ran several benchmarks (Indy3d, SPEC ViewPerf, etc.) and the numbers
    look very good for this system with a Wildcat VP970 videoo card...

    I will contact Tyan Tech Support to see if they know about this error message.

    Regards,

    ~Matt Verona

    Sugarland Software, Inc.
    Sugar Land, Texas
    USA

    ***

    Matt Verona, Oct 4, 2003

  3. Josh Jost

    Matt Verona Guest

    Update: Tyan tech support replied to my inquiry - we need to install the latest
    Tiger i7505 BIOS (Beta v. 2668_101j) - this is a known bug which has been
    fixed...

    Here's the download link:

    http://www.tyan.com/support/html/bios_support.html#beta

    Note: the Comments section for this driver shows "Updated Micro coding"...

    Later,

    ~MV

    ***

    Matt Verona, Oct 7, 2003
  4. Josh Jost

    Tony Guest

    hello

    i have the S2668 too and a lot of problems with each bios version, even
    with the new 1.02.

    Running windows 2000 server and windows xp prof it is not able to make a
    stable system with exchange and MS ISA.

    Tyan's Boards are made of good quality but the BIOS are really SHIT! and
    the german phone support is like a childhood, no competence. a bit
    competence you can find at the american email support.

    generaly i would never buy again a tyan server board because they run
    quite unstable, and there are a lot of memory adressing problems, NIC IRQ
    problems, HT issus, etc. etc.

    Tony

    Tony, Oct 11, 2003
  5. Josh Jost

    Matt Verona Guest

    Well, for the record... our new dual Xeon 2.6Ghz system with the Tyan Tiger
    i7505 is running great now with the new BIOS. This system is actually the
    only truly stable dual proc system we have... I'm definitely a Tyan fan for
    this reason... We also have two very stable XP Pro systems running the Trinity
    i875P board with 2.6Ghz Pentium 4 CPUs - 100% stable ...

    ***

    Matt Verona, Oct 19, 2003