    Thanks.

    Regards,
    Dovelet

    Dovelet, Nov 5, 2005

  2. Dovelet

    Arno Wagner Guest

    I think this is purely a soundcard issue. The problem is that cheaper
    soundcards just have one pair of A/D converters and so can only support
    one analog input. While it would be possible to mix the signals
    in the analog part of the card, it is not being done.

    You should look for a card that can support multiple recording
    sources at the same time. If the card specification does not say
    it can do that, then assume it can not.

    I am not really an expert on this, but a schot look over current
    offers from Creative and Terratec gave me the impression that
    none of their products support more than a single stereo analog
    input channel at a time. On the professional side, m-audio
    (www.m-audio.com) and RME (www.rme-audio.com) look like potential
    sources. Best ask them what of their cards have what you need.
    Also take into account that these cards may not have microphone
    inputs.

    An alternatice is to get a cheap analog studio mixer and connect its
    output to the line-in of the card and its inputs to the microphone
    and the original line-in source. That is likely the cheapest
    solution, depending on the quality you need.

    Arno

    Arno Wagner, Nov 5, 2005

  3. Dovelet

    greenaum Guest

    FWIW, my nasty C-media something97 inbuilt MB audio has separate mixer
    channels for mic and line-in, tho I imagine it's all done in analogue
    and there's just the one ADC.

    It must be a pretty cheap chipset that doesn't even have an analogue
    mixer. I miss my SB16 (value!). I'd still be using that now if I had
    an ISA slot, most compatible soundcard ever made.

    And nowadays they don't bother putting MIDI chips in, it's all synthed
    in software in the drivers. Everything's just piled thru the wave-out
    output, mixed digitally in software. "Free" because it doesn't need
    any extra chips in the sound hardware. Expensive cos it's sucking
    cycles from my expensive CPU, when I could have bought a cheaper one
    for the want of a 30c mixer chip.

    I blame Intel and their stupid drive of a few years ago to take the
    brains out of modems and sound cards etc, and do it all on the CPU. At
    the time there was a shortage of software that actually needed the
    speed of the chips they were selling, so they had to find something to
    waste cycles on. That was before 3D games became so big, every new
    blockbuster FPS is another new yacht for some suit in Intel.

    greenaum, Nov 6, 2005
  4. Dovelet

    Arno Wagner Guest

    But can it support recording on the mixed signal?

    One thing that may work is to record everything, i.e. the
    speaker output. That may also be acceptable to the OP.

    Arno

    Arno Wagner, Nov 6, 2005
  5. Dovelet

    Cl.Massé Guest

    Depending on what you need to do, it could be better to make the operation
    numerically afterward. There is a good freeware doing that:
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/audacity/

    Cl.Massé, Nov 6, 2005
  6. Dovelet

    greenaum Guest

    Of course! You just use the Volume Control to mix the inputs however
    you want them, everything that gets thru, is recorded.

    If I was the OP, I'd do what you suggest, get a cheap audio mixer from
    somewhere.

    greenaum, Nov 6, 2005
  7. Dovelet

    Dovelet Guest

    Hi all,

    Thank you of your information. Actually, I am using a proprietary Video
    Conferening program. I would like to sound of the Microphone and
    LINE-IN (e.g. from VCD) can send to the other side at the same time.
    However, I found that most of the sound card can support only one
    source at the same time so I am asking for help.

    If there is no sound card support this feature, a cheap audio mixer is
    a good choice. Does anyone know the brand of the audio mixer? The
    quailty is for voice and VCD audio. Thanks.

    Another question is: does anyone know is there any program can select
    the recording source from the sound card Microphone or LINE-IN? My
    another alternative is: I run a command and it will select the sound
    recording source to Microphone; and I run another command it will
    change to the LINE-IN. Any idea? Thanks.

    Regards,
    Dovelet

    Dovelet, Nov 7, 2005