    appreciated.

    Thanks,
    James

    James Colbert, Jul 20, 2007

  2. James Colbert

    Horst Franke Guest

    Hi James. I understand IDE and SATA Boot devices as separate things.
    These can be controlled via BIOS Setup.
    I don't see a reason to put it on a Sat2 connector.
    Please check Your MB description for more details.
    May be NEO2 is reflected by MSI? Otherwise check for other brand.
    Horst

    Horst Franke, Aug 12, 2007

  3. James Colbert

    student Guest

    Using the SATA drive as a secondary drive is "easy"; it is the other
    way around that is more messy; i.e. IDE as 1st drive & SATA as 2nd drive.

    I updated my mb to the p6n & put in a 500 g SATA2 with the old IDE
    remaining; I wanted the SATA2 to be the 1st drive & the IDE as 2nd.
    Won't go as the IDE remains to be seen as the 1st drive & the IDE
    as the 2nd. This is the way both winxp & linux & partition magic
    & partition commander see the drives.

    I was able to load winxp onto the SATA as C: only by messing with the
    IDE partition table (i.e. partition size changing). So now winxp is
    on SATA while linux is on IDE; BUT it does look like all partition
    managers see the IDE as the 1st drive & the SATA2 as the 2nd drive.
    I just used the bios setting to boot from the SAT@ drive; the added
    chore is when flashing the bios booting is non-existant & I have to
    change the bios for MY boot sequence (a bit of panic the 1st time!).

    You still need to place your SATA on the SAT2 connector & leave the
    IDE as is.

    student, Aug 12, 2007