    speed?

    TIA

    Mal

    Mal, Nov 17, 2003

  2. Mal

    Hammer Toe Guest

    IMO, its almost CERTAIN that you would be better off with 1GB of
    DDR400 than (efectively) 1.5GB of DDR-333.

    Even with (only) 1GB (in my experience), you will likely never have to
    page/will almost certainly have more memory free than you/the system
    can use unless you are a VERY unusual 'user' and would get more
    perf/benefit from the extra memory access speed/bandwidth than you
    would from the extra (unused, by the system) memory.

    Hammer Toe, Nov 18, 2003

  3. I have not received my board yet, but on the Gigabyte website in the BIOS
    update history, it says on one update that if you populate the second set of
    memory slots, the memory speed will be reduced to 266. Interesting, yes?

    Larry Albertson, Nov 22, 2003
  4. Hi

    My suspicion is that the cpu/chipset will not drive the capacitance of
    additional memory at full speed. Probably the only way to get more memory
    at max speed is to remove the original memory and replace it with larger
    memory.

    BTW it is nice that the manual mentions this. I've set up boards where
    this is not mentioned. It is left up to the user to see how lucky/skilled
    he is at getting a board to run at rated speed.

    regards

    Random Electron, Nov 22, 2003