Mobile 2500 barton what ram to use ?

Discussion in 'Overclocking' started by Scott Backular, Jun 21, 2004.

  1. Iam getting the CPU but not sure what ram to get ?

    I would think this woudl be all i need ? 1024MB TWINX-3200 (400MHz)
    DDR RAM "Corsair" (USA), 2x CMX512A-3200LL DIMMs, Ultra Low Latency
    (2-2-2-6), Integrated aluminium heat spreader, CAS 2, lifetime
    warranty

    OR

    TWINX1024-4000PRO,500 MHz,1 GB 3-4-4-8,2x184 DIMMS,Black XMS ProSeries
    XMS ProSeries is our most..

    Or do you think this would be overkill ??

    Just confused maybe somthing in between pc3500 ect ?, just want the
    best ram for the system somthing i know i can up the FSB and be good
    enough but not ram that i wont be able to use on the system ?

    I know i shoudl be able to push the 3200 to 220fsb easy enough so
    woudl that be enough ?

    Thanks just want to get this system right as i wont be upgrading for
    sometime :0

    Thanks again.

    Scott Backular, Jun 21, 2004

  2. Scott Backular

    Dave Guest

    Spending more on the ram than, possibly, the processor and motherboard
    combined is, in my opinion, a waste of money,

    Dave

    Dave, Jun 21, 2004

  3. Scott Backular

    Sham B Guest

    Absolutely.

    I suggest you get on the 3DMark website (http://www.futuremark.com/), dl 3dMark03, register for the
    online results browsing feature, and have a look at some of the online results from fellow users,
    and from that decide which components most affect performance, and what the most succesful
    combinations are. Thats what I did to end up with my current rig, and I dont think I could have
    done much better for my budget.

    FWIW, You will find that memory is not the limiting factor (gFX card and CPU are more important,
    with level of OC'ing playing a strong part). Not obvious in the figures is that 1Gb of bleeding
    edge memory is usually better for Windows XP than 512Mb of cutting edge (and usually cheaper,
    allowing you to invest up in the CPU or gFX). Certain games that seem to have issues with 512Mb
    (glitches and pauses) are smooth with 1Gb - I hear KOTOR and Far Cry are like this.

    HTH

    PS - As it happened, I decided to try the CPU/gFX with my 2 ancient PC2100-512 sticks before buying
    the memory, and they turned out to be totally stable running as a Dual PC 3200 pair, a saving of a
    small fortune, so if you have old components, I'd suggest trying them out before you pay out... most
    mobos will accept relics in the slots, and if they are not the limiting factor, their age will not
    show, and overclocking something old you are not worried about killing can work wonders :)

    Sham B, Jun 21, 2004
  4. Scott Backular

    Tim Guest

    I just got a Barton 2600 mobile clocked at 2400MHz ([email protected]), and I'm
    using
    Kingston PC3200 Value RAM. From what I gather, RAM with lower latency
    ratings make virtually zero difference in real world applications, although
    such sticks usually allow higher memory speeds if you plan on overclocking
    them. In my situation, the Barton is overclocked, but not the PC3200. I
    have no plans on getting more aggressive with my FSB so it's a waste of
    money to spend any more on the memory.

    Tim, Jun 21, 2004
  5. Scott Backular

    Sham B Guest

    WHOOPS.... that should have been 'as a dual PC 2700 pair'. their good PC2100, but not that good :)
    Nevertheless, my rig seems to be matching similar setups with PC3200 when I look at online 3DMark03
    scores (which is what I was thinking of).

    Sham B, Jun 21, 2004
  6. Why do you ppl keep answering his same questions over & over?
    Why not just tell him to do a http://www.google.com or a
    http://www.dogpile.com search?
    I found once I put my Xeon x 2 2.66 GHz system together, I might be able
    to go over 3 GHz
    If using PC2700 ram I may not be able to go very far, so I should use good &
    overclockable PC2100
    This will help me get over the 3 GHz without my Max. ram limitations
    holding me back first.
    I'm guessing cause I'm using a name like Asus for MB
    And also one of the best for Xeon's PC-DL Deluxe...
    Scott, Paul, To live for one....... And what ever else, it would help you
    to not cross post when you change your name.
    It's so easy to figure out Who You Are.
    If I were half the ppl on these groups, I wouldn't even Answer your
    questions.
    Not like I've never been a pain or anything, but @ least I don't cross post
    to something like 6+ NG's
    &&& One post to ask all the questions I have is enough.
    I was thinking about doing a 6 Post, cross post message asking something
    dumb,, like
    can I overclock PC2700 (333MHz) memory to 400 MHz,
    of which if it's good memory, it will take the Overclock.
    Why am I cutting him down so much, cause no one else is.
    Did you ever hear of Magic IP?
    We can all find your full address, real name.
    In other words, we could all send your ISP letters to kick you off line.
    And or, letters in your mail box as well, heck, with the right software, we
    can even find your
    full birthdate.
    did you know this?

    Denny. :)

    Dennis E Strausser Jr, Jun 22, 2004
  7. Becuase their a re nice people in the world and you are not one of
    them :)

    Scott Backular, Jun 22, 2004
  8. <Snip, snip snip.>
    I'm a very nice person.
    you are obnoxious.
    Denny. :)

    Dennis E Strausser Jr, Jun 22, 2004
  9. Scott Backular

    Phil Weldon Guest

    You, , are running a scam, stealing time from those who
    treat your posts as honest. Time that could better spent offering views on
    honest questions. You are a thief, the worst sort of thief, a thief who
    steals the most precious of things time.

    --
    Phil Weldon, pweldonatmindjumpdotcom
    For communication,

    Phil Weldon, Jun 22, 2004
  10. TY much, sory to yell on the Thank You.
    But I'm not sure you mind a yelling thank you with a Smile. :)
    Time, precious? That's why I'm not going to answer any more of his
    questions.
    Scam, for what? What ever really on this one.

    @ first I liked his "to live and so on. " but for me, I'll just stick with
    my real name.
    If I change it, it will be something like Eddy, of which is still my real
    name.
    Dennis (E)dward Strausser Jr. And or (Eddy)
    You can never fly to high, as long as you use your own mind & no drugs.
    or @ least, not hard ones. "Marijuana"

    Dennis E Strausser Jr, Jun 22, 2004
  11. Dennis E Strausser Jr wrote:
    [...]
    Bet ya don't know my real ... umm ... err ... nevermind ...

    [...]

    Michael Brown, Jun 22, 2004
  12. Scott Backular

    OZoNE Guest

    I found it!!!
    its Joe Fudmuker....am I right??? did I win a prize?????????
    OZoNE
    P.S. This was replied as a joke dont take me serious hahahah

    OZoNE, Jun 22, 2004
  13. Scam, yes.
    He's trying to find an IP Address to pick on, and maybe steal some1's info
    so as to hack through, and
    even use some1's credit cards and such.
    Just complain to gignews.com it looks like he's using it, or using it to
    hide.
    Also hiding his IP Address, I cant seem to find it, if I could, I'd sit here
    and Ping him over & over
    till I would slow him down so much he couldn't get anywhere on the net.

    Denny. :)

    Dennis E Strausser Jr, Jun 22, 2004