    Anyone have opinions on how these CPUs compare? Any other differences
    between the two that I should consider, besides computing performance?

    M.

    Marrow, Jan 29, 2005

  2. Marrow

    J. Clarke Guest

    If by "number-crunching engineering work" you mean FEA and the like then see
    if there's a 64-bit version of your application. If so I think you'll find
    a major performance difference.

    That 10-15% is running 32-bit apps on a 32-bit OS. 64-bit Windows (free
    beta for a year) adds an increment, 64-bit Linux runs about twice as fast
    as 32-bit. But they all run faster on the A64.

    However this may be moot--the 64-bit operating systems work well enough on
    desktops but IMO they aren't quite ready for prime-time on laptops. Too
    much still needs tweaking to get everything working right.

    J. Clarke, Jan 29, 2005

  3. Marrow

    Paul Rubin Guest

    Hmm, are you using Linux and what issues are you facing?

    Paul Rubin, Jan 29, 2005
  4. Marrow

    J. Clarke Guest

    Neither 64-bit Linux nor 64-bit Windows has a full set of clean, reliable
    drivers for the sorts of peripherals that one finds built-in on laptops.
    Further, both break a certain percentage of application code.

    J. Clarke, Jan 29, 2005
  5. Marrow

    Paul Rubin Guest

    If you mean the Broadcom wifi card, yeah, I know about that. There's
    also issues with the video chip in those Compaq units. Is there more?
    What do you mean by this?

    Paul Rubin, Jan 30, 2005
  6. Marrow

    J. Clarke Guest

    The Gentoo folks don't seem to be able to get the Synaptics touchpad drivers
    working, and most of the bluetooth stuff is also masked--I can get basic
    Bluetooth functioning to work for a few minutes but it's not stable. And
    of course there are no 3D drivers for anything from ATI. On the Windows
    side I don't recall what all wasn't working, all I recall is that it didn't
    work well enough for me to want to bother with it.
    I mean that a certain percentage of application code simply does not run
    unless you compile it 32-bit and run it as 32-bit code, which if there is
    no precompiled binary available means a whole new set of annoyances.

    J. Clarke, Jan 30, 2005