    - Fit in the same case

    I'd describe this board as "ATX, 4 slots, Socket 775"....
    Is there term-of-art that sums all that up?

    (PeteCresswell), May 17, 2011

  2. (PeteCresswell)

    Paul Guest

    The form factor could be "microATX" and 9.6" x 9.6".

    The height dimension is usually fixed, while the width
    varies. Standard ATX are 12.0 x ??? while microATX
    are 9.6 x ??? where ??? varies from 9.6" for a
    "quality" motherboard to 7.0" for a "cheapy" motherboard.
    A narrow motherboard, helps save a few pennies on
    motherboard cost. And typically they reduce the
    hardware on it, to get it to fit. One side effect
    of making a narrow motherboard, is the right-most
    column of mounting holes are missing. When pressing
    on the RAM slots, there might be little support for
    the edge of the board, and the board will tend to flex
    more than a full sized and fully mounted motherboard.
    An object such as a rubber eraser, may fit under the
    edge of the motherboard and provide some support.

    One difference among motherboards, is PANEL header wiring.
    Retail motherboards use traditional spacing on the wire
    plug ends. For example, SPKR might be four pins wide, with
    wires on the outer pins. A Dell box, might be using two
    wire connectors and wires which are all 0.1" apart. If
    you install a retail motherboard in a Dell, you may need
    to make modifications to the Dell front panel wiring.
    At the very least, before pulling the motherboard and
    disturbing the wiring, you'd want to make careful notes
    of what went where. You may need that information, if any
    rewiring is necessary to fit to the new PANEL header. If
    each wire pair has a label, then so much the better
    (PWR, RST, PLED, HDDLED etc).

    If the Dell has a monster cooling fan, the connector on
    the end of that might be different as well. If the fan
    current draw rating stamped on the fan hub is a high value,
    then you may want to arrange a Molex disk drive connector to
    fan plug adapter to power it. On my previous computer,
    I ran a 1 ampere fan with such an adapter, to avoid burning
    the +12V fan copper track in the motherboard.

    One thing I note about that Foxconn, is a pretty wimpy
    looking Vcore circuit. It looks like three phase, so perhaps
    that particular motherboard is designed for 65W or less processors.
    Your new motherboard will likely be stronger than that.

    The Foxconn board also has a piezo speaker in the lower
    left of the photo. Your new motherboard won't have that,
    so you'll have nothing to listen to for POST beeps or
    error beep patterns. Your new motherboard will have a
    position for SPKR connector. Your computer case doesn't
    have a speaker, because the motherboard has it. You might
    pick one of these up somewhere. And connect this to
    SPKR on your new motherboard.

    http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51DrrK0g1dL._AA300_.jpg

    ( http://www.amazon.com/PC-Internal-Mini-Onboard-Speaker/dp/B002W4M0DW )

    You can see examples of (microATX,LGA775) here.

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...&IsNodeId=1&bop=And&Order=RATING&PageSize=100

    I had to go pretty far down the list, to match the slot
    layout of your Foxconn (x16, x1, PCI, PCI). Not too many
    motherboards are the same as that. If all your expansion
    slots were filled, you might want to make sure the new
    expansion slot pattern allows all the cards to fit. This
    Jetway motherboard is a "narrow" one, at 9.65" x 7.09" and
    only has two RAM slots.

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813153170

    If you sort the motherboards by price, and put the expensive
    ones at the top of the list, then you're more likely to
    find a 9.6x9.6 with four RAM slots. But only if that is
    important to you.

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131356

    The slot mix on that one, isn't the same as your Foxconn.

    http://images10.newegg.com/NeweggImage/productimage/13-131-356-04.jpg

    Before buying, go to the motherboard manufacturer web site,
    and check the CPUSupport chart for the motherboard. That will
    help you verify the manufacturer has tested your processor,
    in that motherboard. You can also download the user manual
    while you're there.

    HTH,
    Paul

    Paul, May 18, 2011

  3. Per Paul:
    Slot config no big thing with me - only slot used on the Dell was
    an add-on video card.

    Dell's five front panel wires are nicely wrapped up into a single
    "FP1" connector, which shouldn't be too hard to figure out.

    It also has three (count 'em 1-2-3) internal USB connectors.

    Has a CPU cooler anchoring system that I have not seen before: it
    involves a large metal "X" under the board where the corners of
    the cooler screw in to the corners of the "X" through the board.
    Has kind of a quality look to it - albeit non-standard quality...

    Great reply! Thanks for all the detail.

    At the risk of turning into a tarbaby on you, are there any
    tricks to determining the exact CPU make/model?

    I pulled the CPU from this one, Googled the only numbers I could
    see, but came up empty. "2L74643" and either "SA0173" or
    "5A0173".

    (PeteCresswell), May 18, 2011
  4. (PeteCresswell)

    Paul Guest

    You've removed the heatsink/fan from the top of the CPU ?

    You should be able to read the SLxxx code from the top, if
    it is an Intel. Intel has two kinds of numbers. A "box code"
    which is a longer string of alphanumerics. And the shorter
    SLxxx code, where xxx is three characters that change from
    processor to processor.

    For example, the E8400 comes as SSPEC numbers SLAPL and SLB9J.
    Perhaps you'll see something like that on the processor ?

    http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=33910&processor=E8400&spec-codes=SLAPL,SLB9J

    OK, here is a sample picture to look at. This one is an SL86J.

    http://cdn.cpu-world.com/Images/uploaded/0000/28/L_00002884.jpg

    Now, I plug SL86J into the search dialog on ark.intel.com and
    that tells me what it is.

    http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=27145

    Paul

    Paul, May 18, 2011
  5. Per Paul:
    I wonder if this is even an Intel chip.

    viz: http://tinyurl.com/3v8xtr4

    Considering the numbers issue, the probability that I'll have to
    buy a new heat sink anyhow, and the possibility that the CPU was
    part of the problem on this PC... sounds to me like I should just
    suck it up and get a new CPU along with whatever mobo I choose.

    (PeteCresswell), May 18, 2011