Mobo/graphics card Linux compatibility

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Guest, Feb 7, 2004.

  1. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Hello,
    I am assembling information on hardware to build a high-end PC with a
    dual-processor board. It is to run under Linux, and I am reluctant to
    rely on the completeness of caompatibility databases like the one at
    SuSE (my envisioned distro).
    I have been thinking of Intel boards like SE7500CW2, SE7501CW2,
    SE7501WV2 or SE7505VB2, but checking the SuSE and Intel sites, I don't
    find unambiguous information on whether they work with the most recent
    SuSE Linux or not (at Intel it says sometimes tested on one features
    list page, but is not mentioned in the compatibility list on another).
    Does anybody have experience with one of these boards carrying two
    Xeons with at least 2.8 GHz and 533 MHz board speed?

    I would also like to know if the graphics cards on these boards (do
    they all have one?) are reasonably good. No games, but visualization
    of 3D data sets intended.

    Thanks for any input.
    Tom

    Guest, Feb 7, 2004