    the power_on wires leading to my frontal power button. Is there a way
    for me to test this?

    p.s. - the power button and leads worked fine with my last mobo.

    Schris22, Dec 4, 2005

  2. Schris22

    - HAL9000 Guest

    With the computer turning on and off (touching wires) as you describe,
    I don't see how it could be possible for the problem to be the
    motherboard. Check that your not connecting one of the LEDs, instead
    of the power switch, to the motherboard power on pins.

    Forrest

    Motherboard Help By HAL web site:
    http://home.comcast.net/~mobo.help/

    - HAL9000, Dec 4, 2005

  3. Schris22

    Schris22 Guest

    Yep, just checked. I'm using the power_on wires, not the LEDs. Now, im
    thinking of just building a new switch. But i have to make sure... By
    shorting the positive and negative leads together, would that signal
    the motherboard to power on/off?

    Schris22, Dec 4, 2005
  4. Schris22

    straiton Guest

    AFAIK the power on/off switch is just a momentery switch.Once contact has
    been made it will switch to the other state.The contact does not need to be
    continiuous, which i think is what you are suggesting?
    --

    SteveH
    Abit AV8 Third Eye v1.1, A64 3200+ at 2430(9x270),1.575V CPU

    straiton, Dec 5, 2005
  5. Schris22

    Leon Rowell Guest

    Are you saying that the computer won't turn on with the power button on
    the front of the case after you plug it in and it turns on for 2 seconds?

    I have worked on a few computers that did that but it didn't seem to
    bother anything, they powered up and ran fine when I pushed the power
    button.

    If it won't start with the power switch you may have an extra
    motherboard standoff on the backplate that doesn't line up with a screw
    hole and it is shorting out on the MB. I think I would take the MB out
    of the case, lay it on a piece of cardboard and try it that way.

    Leon Rowell

    Leon Rowell, Dec 5, 2005
  6. Schris22

    Schris22 Guest

    Yep, thats one of the first things i did. I layed the mobo out on its
    static-free cover, only had the CPU fan plugged to the mobo and PSU
    (motherboard powered by the PSU of course). It reacted the same way
    when i plugged in the power_on wires. The front side power button has
    no affect on the motherboard. The mobo only react when i touch the
    wires to the leads. I'm thinking of just building a momentary switch
    and jimmying it to the side of my case. The positve and negative
    power_on leads (on the mobo) just need momentary contact with each
    other to signal the computer to turn on, right? Just want to double
    check because this is my first time working on a computer like this.
    Thanks

    Schris22, Dec 5, 2005
  7. Schris22

    TomG Guest

    do you have both power leads connected to the board? the large ATX
    connector and the 4-pin Aux-ATX connector?

    TomG, Dec 5, 2005
  8. Schris22

    Apollo Guest

    Could be that the power switch is stuck closed. Try connecting up
    the reset switch as the power switch and see if it cures it.

    Apollo, Dec 5, 2005
  9. Schris22

    - HAL9000 Guest

    Correct. It's a momentary action switch. Same as the reset switch.

    Forrest

    Motherboard Help By HAL web site:
    http://home.comcast.net/~mobo.help/

    < snip >