Mobo with raid fried - What are my options?

Discussion in 'Soyo' started by The Hammer, May 10, 2004.

  1. The Hammer

    The Hammer Guest

    I've got a fried (ugh) Dragon Ultra Platinum (SY-KT333) mobo and cpu
    (2200). I need to replace them both with little to no impact to the
    rest of the hardware in my system (memory, HDS, etc.) I've got two
    raided hard drives set up as Raid 0 using the onboard Hipoint raid
    controler. I'm not certain how that's going to hinder what
    replacement boards I have to choose from. Do I need a board with the
    exact same raid controler? Will I run into problems if I get a board
    with another brand controler?

    Would you recommend the SY-KT400 as a replacement? I'm inclined to
    replace the fried stuff with identical hardware but wouldn't mind
    turning this into a upgrade opportunity.

    Thanks in advance for any help.

    Jeff

    The Hammer, May 10, 2004

  2. The Hammer

    Wizard Prang Guest

    Talk to Soyo... if you can get them to answer the phone.

    And NEVER use RAID 0 unless the data is expendable.

    Prang

    Wizard Prang, May 11, 2004

  3. The Hammer

    Jim B. Guest

    Thats a little overboard there. A RAID-0 array can be backed up and
    any importand data should be backed up anyway be it on a RAID-0 array
    or just a single drive.

    Now as to the original question, the only way you would be able to
    just plug the array in and not have any problems would not only
    require the same motherboard but it would also require that board to
    have the very same BIOS version. Since many BIOS updates also update
    the RAID controller.

    Jim B., May 12, 2004
  4. The Hammer

    SleeperMan Guest

    Jim B. typed:

    If that would be true, then if you'd have RAIDed array and you would update
    BIOS, after updating, your existing array wouldn't work anymore. So, my
    guess is that if you have same or newer BIOS, or should i say RAID
    controller (since BIOS really doesn't have effect on RAID itself), it would
    be just fine. And sure, same RAID controller manufacturer.

    SleeperMan, May 15, 2004
  5. The Hammer

    Jim B. Guest

    Yes that is correct when I built my first RAID-0 array a few years
    back all worked fine until I updated my motherboard's BIOS. The new
    BIOS file included an update to the Highpoint 372 controller (firmware
    update). After the flash and clearing of CMOS and rebooting, resetting
    the BIOS to previous settings the RAID-0 array was no longer detected.
    After looking at the SOYO download page I found a new driver for the
    Highpoint Controller, if I would have updated the driver first (as I
    have done since learning this) the array would still have been
    detected.

    So yes, he would need the very same BIOS file as his original
    motherboard had. Unless he can verify that any later version of the
    BIOS for his motherboard did not update the RAID controller. If any
    newer BIOS file did not update the controller it should work. But if
    there was an update to the controller it will not detect the array
    without the latest driver for the controller and since his controller
    is dead there is no way to update the driver for the controller first.

    So in a way your incorrect about the BIOS having any effect on the
    RAID itself, sometimes the BIOS file includes a firmware update for
    the RAID controller. Not every time but sometimes.

    Jim B., May 16, 2004
  6. The Hammer

    SleeperMan Guest

    Jim B. typed:
    Damn... Well, luckily i run RAID1 array, so if all above happens, i guess at
    least one of my HDD's will be readable...
    But it's still very funny - stupid... normally array should work or at least
    update itself after upgrade...

    SleeperMan, May 16, 2004