    wheter or not it is safe?
    Any help would be greatly appreciated as I have just bought a xp2400+ tb and
    it will not run!!

    joanne grint, Jul 1, 2003

  2. The C37 removal will void the warranty on the motherboard but the end result is worth it to extend its useful life.

    This thread from MSI's E-Service Forum seems to be where it all started:

    http://www.msi.com.tw/program/e_ser...tyleid=1&sid=990fffc47ea3f604dc1bb73d1ba4d9b8

    If the link above is split over two lines make sure you copy and paste both parts into your web browser before navigating to this site.

    I found the modification to be very easy. I used a flush cutter (it's a small very precise wire cutter for working on printed circuit boards) to remove surface mount capacitor C37, since the part is extremely small. A soldering iron would be more difficult to use for removing C37. On page 17 of the thread there are pictures showing the location of C37 and its relative size to a coin (1 cent).

    Remember to download BIOS revision 3.7 from MSI's web site, it properly identifies the new CPU. Here's the link:

    http://download.msi.com.tw/support/bos_exe/6380v37.exe

    Ranier Wolfcastle, Jul 2, 2003