    does not show up in the device manager of Win98 because of the modem
    conflict. How do I fix this so that I have a fuly functinal sound
    card?

    J. P. Willis, May 19, 2006

  2. Which sound card are you using? Are the modem and sound card PCI cards
    or ISA cards?

    Alex Zorrilla, May 19, 2006

  3. J. P. Willis

    J. P. Willis Guest

    The sound card is a Creative CT4810[PCI 128]

    J. P. Willis, May 22, 2006
  4. J. P. Willis

    Kent_Diego Guest

    Try removing modem and placing sound card in diffrent PCI slot. Get sound
    card working and then plug in modem.

    Kent_Diego, May 22, 2006
  5. I believe the problem is probably with the "legacy emulation" of the
    SB128. I remember I had an old Aureal sound card with the same problem.

    What happens is that the sound card driver "creates" a device that can
    receive data that was meant for the old ISA SB16 series, like from old
    DOS games. This "device" does not get created until Windows loads.
    Sometimes, the driver does take proper account of what resources are
    being used by other devices, so you get conflicts such as yours.

    What I did to get around the problem on my computer was to go to the
    BIOS --> PCI/PnP Configuration --> Resources Assigned --> Manually. You
    will see a big long list of IRQs appear. Set IRQ 5 to "ISA Legacy
    Device", and leave all the others as "PCI/PnP Device".

    This setting will *prevent* any PCI or PnP-ISA cards from using IRQ 5.
    Hopefully, when Windows boots, the Creative driver will see that IRQ 5
    is not being used for anything, and then plunk its Legacy Device right
    there.

    Lemme know if that works.

    --Alex

    Alex Zorrilla, May 22, 2006

  6. Oops! I made a typo. I meant to say that sometimes the driver does
    *not* take proper account of the resources.

    Alex Zorrilla, May 24, 2006