Modem constantly send/receives?

Discussion in 'Apple' started by Brent, May 17, 2005.

  1. Brent

    Brent Guest

    The moment I connect to my ISP my iBook's internal modem begins sending
    and receiving, whether or not I have launched any app. It never stops.
    It's always communicating. According to the Send & Receive activity
    bars of the Internal Modem window the modem is sometimes communicating
    at a low or intermediate rate, sometimes at the max.

    The Pricess Listing window shows the highest % CPU apps to be
    Internet Connect (10 - 15%)
    Window Manager (0 - 3%)
    ATSServer(0 - 9%)
    SystemUIServer (0 - 3%)
    and others
    out of 37 processes running. The rankings vary wildly.

    (As I was typing this note (Thoth 1.7.2) a mysterious new process
    showed up in 4th place and went away before I could interrogate it. Its
    name was an unintelligible string and its user was neither root nor me
    but "???". Others with different names and "???" User are popping up
    and disappearing within the ranking too. Sometimes there are 1, 2 or 3,
    most of the time none. Their names are never repeated. They do affect
    the count of active processes. Bulletin: one just showed up at the top
    of the % CPU ranking with 6884%! What the heck?)

    My system and my apps are set up to check manually for updates. I do
    this every week or so, but this modem activity is perpetual.

    I use no AV protection but the Firewall is up.

    The system: iBook 600MHz, 14" dual-USB, 640MB, 20GB; OS X 10.2.8

    Should I suspect that my system has been compromised?

    Brent, May 17, 2005