    Its like it comes to a halt / locks the dialup,
    you cant use the net, and the only thing u can do, is to reboot.

    This is in XP.

    Paul, Sep 22, 2005

  2. Paul

    Paul Guest

    I think is is better to Google using the modem brand and part
    number, than go looking for P4S8X-X as the source of the problem.
    There are some dreadful modem chipsets out there, and some
    good ones. In some cases, the modem you buy, never benefits
    from a driver upgrade (none offered on the company webpage),
    and it is possible sometimes, to use a driver for the same
    chipset, obtained from a competitor's web site. Since the
    companies who make the drivers for "soft modems", want to
    continue to enjoy a revenue stream, you cannot expect all
    driver versions to work out this way.

    I had pretty good luck with one "soft modem" (Winmodem). It
    actually had 1% more thruput than a USB Courier used on the
    same phone line. So, they can be made to work well.

    This page lists a few of the many chipsets:
    http://www.modemsite.com/56k/chipset.asp

    PCtel has moved on from writing drivers - though they are still
    trying to make a few bucks from patent litigation:
    http://www.internetweek.com/showArticle.jhtml?articleId=17100045

    Paul

    Paul, Sep 23, 2005

  3. Paul

    Paul Guest

    Ta Paul.

    I had Dynalink modems. I chucked
    both out lol. I think their time was up.

    And replaced them with Pragmatic modems,
    which are intel hardware based modems.

    So far, so good!

    Paul, Sep 29, 2005