    in my system? And if not, then what?

    Thanks,
    Colin

    Colin Bigam, Jun 25, 2003

  2. Yes you can. Even the dustbuster (aka nvidia fx5800ultra), fx5900ultra
    and ati radeon 9800pro will work (as they are backwards compatible to
    AGP 1.0). Almost all cards today available are backwards compatible to
    AGP 1.0, the exceptions are ati radeon 9600/9600pro and Matrox P650/P750.

    Roland

    Roland Scheidegger, Jun 25, 2003

  3. Colin Bigam

    Paul Guest

    This web page puts the Radeon 9800 in the same catagory as the 9600/9600pro.
    http://www.ati.com/support/agpchart/agp.html

    I don't understand - what good is keying those cards as "universal"
    connectors, if the cards cannot take 3.3V ? Does this mean
    9600/9600pro/9800 burn when you put them in an old 3.3V only
    motherboard ? Why wouldn't the cards have a "1.5V only" slot cut
    in them ?

    Strange,
    Paul

    Paul, Jun 26, 2003
  4. The 9600/9600pro do not have a universal connector, regardless what ATI
    writes (you can easily see that on pictures). However, the Radeon
    9800pro indeed has a universal connector.
    As said, the 9600/9600pro indeed have a 1.5V only connector. I'm not so
    sure about the 9800. Since it is keyed for 3.3V operation (in contrast
    to the 9600) it SHOULD run in those old boards. It certainly shouldn't
    (and I'm pretty confident it won't) blow up. I don't know why ati lists
    it as not 3.3V signal voltage compliant, it is possible it's a simple
    error on the website, or it's possible there might be some small
    compatibility problem with 3.3V operation (for instance it might not run
    100% stable). It could also just mean it's not officially supported. The
    preorder listed it as 3.3V compliant, so do several vendors (for
    instance crucial,
    http://www.crucial.com/store/partspecs.asp?imodule=CTV9800P128A28). I
    don't know if anyone has tested it, it's probably a bit overkill...

    Roland

    Roland Scheidegger, Jun 26, 2003