Monitor non-functional after being connected to laptop

Discussion in 'Laptops' started by bastXXXette, Feb 26, 2009.

  1. bastXXXette

    bastXXXette Guest

    Hello,

    I just bought a second-hand laptop with XP. When I connected my
    desktop PC's monitor to the VGA port on the laptop, I got nothing on
    the external monitor. The laptop's own screen worked fine. The laptop
    probably doesn't have the right driver for the external monitor, but
    right now I have bigger problems.

    After I powered down the laptop, I reconnected the monitor to my
    desktop PC and then booted up the PC. But I couldn't get anything to
    come up on the monitor. No matter what I did - fiddled with the
    on/off button on the monitor, checked to be sure the data and power
    cables were correctly connected, etc, the monitor stayed black.

    Is it possible that connecting the monitor to the laptop somehow
    fried something in the monitor? I've never heard of this happening,
    but the monitor was fine before I plugged it into the laptop...

    Thanks for any suggestions,

    J.

    bastXXXette, Feb 26, 2009

  2. bastXXXette

    Pete D Guest

    I would think it unlikely in the extreme.

    Pete D, Feb 26, 2009

  3. bastXXXette

    bastXXXette Guest

    Well yeah, that's what I thought, but the fact remains that the monitor
    is now dead as a doorknob. I guess it could be a coincidence, but that
    would be quite a coincindence.

    Any suggestion on how I can troubleshoot the monitor? I did reboot the
    desktop PC (which has had this monitor attached for over a year with
    no problems), so any "confusion" the monitor might have had as to which
    computer it was connected to should have been resolved. I've also cycled
    the power on the monitor a number of times. I would try looking at
    settings on my desktop PC to see if anything's messed up, but... it's
    hard to see anything right now. :)

    J.

    bastXXXette, Feb 26, 2009
  4. Does it have a vacation on/off switch you might have missed?

    Once again without a make/model or further description you only get what
    you paid for.

    G.G. Willikers, Feb 26, 2009
  5. bastXXXette

    Pete D Guest

    Have you checked that you haven't bent a pin on the plug, I have done that
    before but was able to bend the pin back with a very small set of needle
    nose pliers.

    Cheers.

    Pete

    Pete D, Feb 26, 2009
  6. bastXXXette

    Sjouke Burry Guest

    I fried a pentium board(p104 type), with a monitor.
    Th monitor had the pin which the vga spec tells to carry
    5 V, connected without current limit,while the p104 board
    had that pin grounded. Normally no problem, because most vga cables
    leave out that pin.
    It fried 3 ground tracks in the p104 board.
    So, for a combination of some vga outputs and some monitors,
    you can damage either one.
    In my case , the vga output had the more fragile wiring, and lost.
    The monitor however should not supply unlimited power to that pin,
    and most monitors dont even have that pin.

    Sjouke Burry, Feb 27, 2009
  7. Test #1 for any defective monitor is different power
    and signal cables (to localize whether the trouble is in
    the display unit or a cable.) This was not yet mentioned.

    Don Phillipson, Feb 27, 2009
  8. bastXXXette

    bastXXXette Guest

    Problem resolved. I fiddled around some more this evening, including
    unplugging the power cable from the monitor and then plugging it back
    in. That restored whatever needed to be restored and now the monitor
    is working fine. Thanks everyone for all the suggestions. It did get me
    thinking about more basic issues - cables, pins, power cords, etc.

    J.

    bastXXXette, Feb 27, 2009
  9. Assuming that the LED light on the monitor is on (which
    means it is getting power and the power switch is working,
    the next thing I would do is check the cable that goes from
    the monitor to the computer.

    Sincerely,
    C.Joseph Drayton, Ph.D. AS&T

    CSD Computer Services

    Web site: http://csdcs.site90.net/
    E-mail: 90.net

    C.Joseph Drayton, Feb 27, 2009
  10. Possible, yes, but not normal. Connecting a VGA monitor to any
    computer's VGA output should not normally "fry" it.

    [Actually, however, I do seem to recall that on some [poorly designed]
    monitors, a horizontal sync frequency outside the range of the monitor
    can do that.]

    Re: "The laptop probably doesn't have the right driver for the external
    monitor"

    No drivers are normally required. But you normally won't get anything
    unless the external monitor port is explicitly turned on, usually with a
    function key combination.

    Barry Watzman, Feb 28, 2009
  11. Is it an LCD or CRT monitor? Some CRT monitors can be destroyed if fed
    a horizontal sync signal outside their design range. This is not
    common, but it does happen.

    Barry Watzman, Feb 28, 2009