    correct colors then revert to the smeared colors. Any idea what's causing
    the problem and what I can do to fix it?

    Tom

    Tom, Sep 21, 2008

  2. Tom

    Tom Guest

    Failed to mention the OS is XP PRo sp3

    Tom, Sep 21, 2008

  3. Tom

    S.Lewis Guest

    How old is the Trintron? They are known to die in such colorful ways. I've
    seen several of the 17" models display a reddish tint within Windows on
    their way to failure.

    My 19" Trinitron (IBM) began to "fade" around the edges at desktop along
    with eventually displaying diagonal "pinstripes" visible both at the Windows
    XP splash screen and also less so (but still lightly visible) at desktop.

    If the monitor is older than 3 years old, it might be signalling its
    ultimate exit.

    Have you swapped with a different monitor by any chance?

    Stew

    S.Lewis, Sep 21, 2008
  4. Tom

    thanatoid Guest

    I have an 11 year old Sony Multiscan 100sx. Over the years it
    had a few minor problems which lasted a few weeks and "went
    away". Sony magic.

    It is now having a more serious problem which I will have to
    have fixed although it also, strangely, appears to be decreasing
    in frequency and "intensity". It is similar to yours, and it is
    intermittent.

    I was told by a technician there is a small PCB right behind the
    Trinitron tube which controls the three RGB colors and that the
    capacitors on it sometimes start going bad. You can tell by
    bulging of the top of the tube-shaped capacitors or by outright
    obvious signs of problems (leaking goo etc.). Poor solder points
    may also be deteriorating - very easily fixed.

    When the image is OK, is it as good as it was 11 years ago. I
    hate LCD's.

    While I am not afraid of fixing a lamp, I do not feel like
    opening up a TV/monitor. But I am reasonably sure I can have
    this problem fixed.

    You can also Google for "CRT monitor color shift repair problem"
    or some such combination. There are lots of repair advice sites.

    If you can find a Trini built in the last few years before those
    idiots stopped making them, GET ONE. Take advantage of all the
    morons switching to the LCD shit. I saw a widescreen (!) Trini
    for about $300 a year or so ago (it was about $2,500 when it
    came out). A high-end Trinitron /should/ last forever (mine is a
    very basic model and it has lasted 11 years of 5-10 hrs. of
    daily use).

    thanatoid, Sep 21, 2008
  5. Tom

    Tom Guest

    It's abput ten years op0ld. I haven't swapped it w/ another because I only
    have this one.

    Tom, Sep 23, 2008
  6. Tom

    Tom Guest

    Mine started out intermittently and has become chronic.
    I'll buy a nice new LCD.

    Tom, Sep 23, 2008
  7. Tom

    Ben Myers Guest

    TEN years old? That monitor owes you nothing! You got good mileage out of a
    quality brand-name product. Stick with another good brand name, not like most
    of the junque sold in Best Buy and Circuit City... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Sep 23, 2008
  8. Tom

    S.Lewis Guest

    Agreed. My 19" began to fizzle after about 6 years of nearly continual use.

    S.Lewis, Sep 23, 2008
  9. Tom

    Tom Guest

    I'm not complaining just need to get more mileage until I get a new one.
    Also, I've seen the same problems on LCD monitors that was fixed by
    reseating the cable connections or replacing the monitor cables.

    Tom

    Tom, Sep 25, 2008
  10. Tom

    Ben Myers Guest

    I suppose you've already tried reseating the cables. If you live in a major
    metro area (or even almost anywhere), check out the computer section of
    craigslist where you live for a CRT monitor to tide you over until you get the
    money to buy a new one. I am in the Boston metro area where there are several
    ads a day for good working monitors being given away as companies and
    individuals upgrade.

    If you are near I-495 and Route 2 in Massachusetts, come on by and I will give
    you a 17" CRT in working order. Not much else I can do with them except give
    them away, usually with a system I sell to someone with limited finances.

    .... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Sep 25, 2008
  11. Hi!
    Monitors have several common problems that can show up while they're still
    basically operational:

    1. Capacitors. (<<< most important consideration)
    2. Soldering (<<< next most important)
    3. The picture tube (over time it ages, and a color shift or focus loss can
    be the result)
    4. The signal cable (but usually only if it's been handled a lot or
    mistreated)

    You should try the monitor with another computer to verify that the problem
    is definitely in the monitor.

    For the other factors. Heat builds up inside most monitors, and the only
    cooling that they have is convection. (Some very few monitors do have a fan
    inside, but I haven't seen one in a long time.) This can cause circuit
    boards to expand and contract, and as a result, solder joints (which might
    have been marginal to begin with) can fail. Weird behavior can be the
    result. A good test for this is to move the monitor or slap the cabinet
    gently while moving your hand. Any sudden "correction" points to bad solder
    connections.

    Capacitors are typically electrolytic and have a liquid inside that can dry
    out after years of exposure to the heat inside the monitor. This too can
    cause strange behavior, as well as the failure of other components. The
    proper way to find these is to open the monitor up and either physically
    examine the capacitors for distress (bulged tops, leaking paste or fluid),
    or to test them with an ESR (effective series resistance) meter.

    Is it worth it? Not for a "bargain basement" monitor, which covers most of
    what is included when you buy a computer. But for something like a moderate
    to high end display (such as your Sony monitor), it might be worthwhile to
    at least check these things before tossing it out or recycling it. Some of
    your time and a few bucks worth of parts can go a long way. I fixed an NEC
    Multisync 95 (that I paid good money for!) with bad AC filter caps, and it's
    still working great about eight years later. It died just outside of the NEC
    warranty.

    Of course, your safety is also important, and it should be said that
    monitors use high voltage (at relatively low current, but still, it will
    surprise you at the very least if you get involved with it), the picture
    tube is under high vacuum and can shatter if you strike it (although this
    takes a heck of a lot of doing for most tubes) hard enough, and there is
    circuitry inside that may be connected directly to the power line when the
    monitor is plugged in (lower voltage, but essentially unlimited current if
    you cross it).

    If you want to fix your monitor, try the sci.electronics.repair FAQ at
    http://www.repairfaq.org/. I would say it is at least worth taking a look,
    especially if a new one isn't on the books right now.

    William

    William R. Walsh, Sep 29, 2008
  12. Tom

    Tony Harding Guest