    should be a driver but cant find any info about it.

    Another question is the inverter. What is it for?

    ywz

    ydoubleuz, Apr 23, 2008

  2. ydoubleuz

    larwe Guest

    What kind of monochrome LCDs? There are some simple LCDs with the
    controller integrated on the glass. These are usually controlled over
    an SPI or I2C interface. Cellphone LCDs are often this type. It's not
    much more difficult than driving a character LCD, except that you have
    to render the text yourself (and have your own font in ROM).

    Bigger LCDs need to be supplied with data constantly from an external
    controller chip. You would often select a micro with on-chip LCD
    controller for such applications (a PDA type micro).
    Providing high voltage to the backlight, EL or CCFL. If you are asking
    about inverters I guess you are not asking about simple LCDs, since
    they are usually LED backlit.

    larwe, Apr 23, 2008

  3. ydoubleuz

    santech1888 Guest

    There are two types of chips on LCD: standard chips or programmable
    chips.
    With standard chips, you can manage data with serial SPI interface.
    With programmable chip on glass (PCOG), you can have standalone masked
    programmed ROM or OTP (One Time programmable) ROM microcontroller on
    the LCD glass.

    There are some information available at http://san-tech-lcd.info

    santech1888, Apr 23, 2008
  4. ydoubleuz

    cbarn24050 Guest

    I take it you mean graphic lcds. You need a controller, some panels
    have one built in, many do not. Most use the Epson SED series. Look on
    their website for a datasheet.

    cbarn24050, Apr 23, 2008
  5. ydoubleuz

    khanapuri

    Joined:
    Apr 20, 2008
    Messages:
    5
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Bangalore INDIA
    For each LCD we need to feed multiple commands to initialize the internal modules of the LCD. Only it is possible to display a character or a pixel on LCD after successful initialization (first time understanding of LCD initialization is little confusing). below are few initializations modules for a specific LCD.
    LCD internal oscillatior on, booster, regulator, display control, direction, RGB arrangement, line and column position setting, analog circuit enabling, setting oscillator frequency, then display ON. By using SPI driver you can send command first then with respective data for that command. you many need to provide small delay between each command depends on your LCD.
    Hope this information will help you.

    khanapuri, May 6, 2008
  6. ydoubleuz

    ydoubleuz Guest

    Hi again,

    After checking with suppliers and budget constraints. I purchased a
    HITACHI SP10Q003-T. However searching thru' the respective sites; all
    I found is a datasheet of that LCD with its electrical and timing
    specifications. No mention on connections and drivers or controllers,
    etc. Any infos from the gurus out there??

    Tks

    ydoubleuz, May 15, 2008
  7. ydoubleuz

    cbarn24050 Guest

    Datasheet is here http://www.hitachi-displays-eu.com/doc/sp10q003-t.pdf

    This LCD has no controller, drivers are built in, I used a M66272FP
    controller on a similar lcd panel some years ago. You could also use
    an Epson SED series controller or even a Yamaha. Hitachi used to sell
    a delevopment kit for these.

    cbarn24050, May 15, 2008
  8. ydoubleuz

    ydoubleuz Guest

    Yup I checked...but now the dev kit is no longer sold. The datasheet u
    posted is the only one that I found previously. Would like to check hw
    the SED controller interface with the LCD. Any particular Epson SED
    recommended??

    ydoubleuz, May 21, 2008