    I'm going to contact Dell to see about getting the OS on a disk.

    Tom S.
    Houston, TX

    Tom Simchak, Aug 9, 2005

  2. Tom Simchak

    Notan Guest

    From the *numerous* threads, regarding this same topic, it doesn't
    appear to be a problem.

    Notan

    Notan, Aug 9, 2005

  3. Tom Simchak

    Notan Guest

    .... Having Dell send you a CD, that is.

    Notan

    Notan, Aug 9, 2005
  4. Tom Simchak

    Ted Zieglar Guest

    You're new to this group, right? Because this very topic was discussed in
    great detail very recently. It's a good practice in newsgroups to search
    through earlier posts to see if your issue was previously raised.

    Ted Zieglar, Aug 9, 2005
  5. Doesn't seem to be news, either.

    Sparky Spartacus, Aug 9, 2005
  6. Tom Simchak

    Tom Simchak Guest

    That's what is going to happen. Apparently. Spent about 15 to 20 mins.
    in a chat with someone from the sub-continent. S/he tried to refer me
    to tech support. I said that wasn't good enough. Nothing on the site
    where I configured the computer said that there was no OS media
    included; also, if a reformat is ever required, I would be screwed.
    S/he said I would get a CD in about a week.

    An OK experience for me, Dell support-wise.

    Tom S.
    Houston, TX

    Tom Simchak, Aug 9, 2005
  7. Tom Simchak

    LastYJ Guest

    Just create your own CD. It's not worth the pain to call India for help.

    http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/kb/en/document?dn=1091713

    I have done it with a system I recently purchased and it was painless.

    -lyj

    LastYJ, Aug 9, 2005
  8. Tom Simchak

    Bob Levine Guest

    Bob Levine, Aug 9, 2005
  9. Dr. Joel M. Hoffman, Aug 9, 2005
  10. Tom Simchak

    S.Lewis Guest

    Tom,

    $10 bucks when bought through the website with the system. They'll send you
    the CD probably.

    Gotta say that this has been a topic in this ng for, what, 3-4 mos.?

    I'm surprised you didn't note it here before you picked up the 600m.

    Anyway, you'll get your OS CD.

    Stew

    S.Lewis, Aug 9, 2005
  11. Tom Simchak

    S.Lewis Guest

    Unless you can burn one via osmosis, yes.

    Stew

    S.Lewis, Aug 9, 2005
  12. Tom Simchak

    Ghostrider Guest

    Reads like good, proper English...the type you need in
    front of a bewigged judge in an English court house.

    Ghostrider, Aug 9, 2005
  13. Tom Simchak

    Chris G. Guest

    Just received a new Inspiron 600m. No XP CD. No Dell OS Recovery CD icon
    in Dell Accessories. No way to backup OS. Called Dell last night. They
    said they will send a CD out in 1 to 2 business days. Not satisfied. Looks
    like I'm not the only one. This will probably be my last Dell.

    Chris G., Aug 10, 2005
  14. Tom Simchak

    S.Lewis Guest

    Good. Get a Sony. They may or may not include their restore image DVDs,
    which may or may not help if your VAIO has only a CDROM or CDRW.

    I paid $$30 (with premium ship) to restore a Sony desktop for this very
    reason for someone.

    Earth to consumers: welcome to the new reality.

    Stew

    S.Lewis, Aug 10, 2005
  15. Tom Simchak

    Notan Guest

    like I'm not the only one. This will probably be my last Dell.

    "Not satisfied."

    Huh? You're kidding, right?

    Good luck, trying to find a company that will do better!

    Notan

    Notan, Aug 10, 2005
  16. Tom Simchak

    Notan Guest

    By the way, if Administrator's following this thread,

    Yeah. Typical Dellbot response.

    Notan

    Notan, Aug 10, 2005
  17. Tom Simchak

    tlai909 Guest

    write your congressman

    T.

    tlai909, Aug 10, 2005
  18. Tom Simchak

    S.Lewis Guest

    Most definitely gets it and is right.

    I've gotta tell y'all that I'm about at my wits end of the non-newbies
    coming in here crying about their effin' media....

    I'm going to go 'technical' on someone's azz if this keeps up.

    Stew

    S.Lewis, Aug 10, 2005
  19. Tom Simchak

    Gray Ghost Guest

    Don't encourage him ;-) I don't think that we need the regulation of CDs
    in that nature...

    Gray Ghost, Aug 10, 2005
  20. Never fails, the DellBots come out like roaches when one speaks anything
    but positive about the great Dell. There is about 5-8 Dellbots that are
    so predictable.

    administrator, Aug 10, 2005