    Alas, I have my dells and they run well, but I look to Alienware for inspiration
    :)

    -gg-

    Gray Ghost, Aug 10, 2005

  2. Tom Simchak

    tlai909 Guest

    I dunno...

    It's a $712 laptop. Cel 350m, low end.

    I'm expecting Dell to try to save a dollar everywhere they can.

    My feeling is that people expect Dell to wipe their ass for the $712
    price.

    For that money, you get what you pay for... Indian tech. support, lack
    of supplied media, short warranty.

    You may have grounds for complaint if you were sold an M90 and got
    shafted this way.

    But for $712...

    T.

    tlai909, Aug 10, 2005

  3. Tom Simchak

    Spurticus Guest

    Yes, yes, not only installed your drive must be... plugged into power it
    must be as well and yes, then the CD will work but only with the data cable
    adequately fitted into appropriate pins. Oh and finally, jumper properly be
    it slave, master or selected by cable.

    Spurticus, Aug 10, 2005
  4. Tom Simchak

    Tom Scales Guest

    Why didn't you order the media? It's a $10 option.

    Tom

    Tom Scales, Aug 10, 2005
  5. Tom Simchak

    Gray Ghost Guest

    And actually think for once? Never, that's what my Dell is for ;-)

    Gray Ghost, Aug 10, 2005
  6. Only if he's on crack

    Sparky Spartacus, Aug 10, 2005
  7. Right - thanks for the pre-emptive strike. :)

    Sparky Spartacus, Aug 10, 2005
  8. No more predictable than you, my fine feathered troll.

    Sparky Spartacus, Aug 10, 2005
  9. Tom Simchak

    Tom Simchak Guest

    Not too sure who this was directed to, but since I'm the OP, I'll answer
    the question...there was no mention that media was not included or an
    option to order it. At least on the site I was on.

    Tom S.
    Houston, TX

    Tom Simchak, Aug 10, 2005
  10. Tom Simchak

    Tom Scales Guest

    How long ago did you order? It is fairly new, as of the last 6 weeks or so.

    Tom

    Tom Scales, Aug 10, 2005
  11. Tom Simchak

    Tom Simchak Guest

    I ordered on (I think) 7/29.

    On other occasions I have seen where the site says that there is no
    media included, and yes, I did see the posts about this before, but I
    would have thought that media would be included unless specified to the
    contrary.

    It may be that the Dell policy wonks make changes that filter down to
    the site administrators more slowly than they do to the fulfillment
    departments.

    Tom S.
    Houston, TX

    Tom Simchak, Aug 11, 2005
  12. Tom Simchak

    Tom Scales Guest

    Well, I don't know, but the media option has been on Home/Home office since
    early July.

    Tom Scales, Aug 11, 2005
  13. and on the dell.ca site, it is the second option, right below the
    selecting the OS.

    Here are what it says along with the options.

    Operating System Backup & Recovery Solutions

    PC Restore by Symantec is already installed on your computer's hard
    drive and it will restore your computer to the original factory image,
    including OS and factory installed drivers and applications. If you also
    require CDs to perform advanced tasks chose the OS Media for the OS you
    selected above. You must select the back-up media that corresponds to
    your selected operating system.

    None

    Backup media for Microsoft® Windows® XP Home Edition add $10]

    Backup media for Microsoft® Windows® XP Media Center 2005 Edition [add $10]

    Backup media for Microsoft® Windows® XP Professional Edition [add $10]

    Dan Sgambelluri, Aug 11, 2005
  14. Tom Simchak

    Ben Myers Guest

    Not shipping the media is an industry-wide trend. Serious price pressure to
    sell systems ever more cheaply. Fewer items to duplicate, pack and ship.
    Pressure from Microsoft to make it harder for all of us to rebuild systems when
    security breaches render them useless or when a hard drive dies.

    Most of the policy wonks are in Washington playing at or pretending to be policy
    wonks. Both parties... Ben Myers

    <SNIP>

    Ben Myers, Aug 11, 2005
  15. Tom Simchak

    Steve W. Guest

    Steve W., Aug 11, 2005
  16. Tom Simchak

    Tom Scales Guest

    Well, your link didn't work, so I went to www.dell.com, chose home, chose
    the 5100 and the last option to select is whether you want Operating System
    Backup & Recovery. Not sure why it didn't show up for you.

    Tom

    Tom Scales, Aug 11, 2005
  17. Tom Simchak

    Tom Simchak Guest

    This is pretty fast...I was in the chat with the sales support guy on
    Tuesday. I got here this morning and there's a package from Dell
    waiting for me. The green reinstallation CD for XP Pro, and 2 blue
    CDs--one for drivers and utilities and one for reinstalling tools system
    software...those were not included either in the original package.

    Now, how much did it cost Dell to ship these to me via Airborne? And how
    much would it have cost them to included them in the first place? I'm
    guessing it cost more for the CDs to be shipped to me than it would have
    to include them in the first place.

    Tom S.
    Houston, TX

    Tom Simchak, Aug 11, 2005
  18. Tom Simchak

    S.Lewis Guest

    That's absolutely true. But the sad truth is that many/most? (especially new
    users) *won't* notice them missing, or if they do, they probably don't call
    and ask/demand the CDs. May not even know that they can do so.

    So overall, Dell is saving money going this route and monitoring the
    backlash, I'd suspect.

    Additionally, now that the option to BUY the media is on the website, anyone
    who doesn't have disks will probably (very shortly) be out of luck in
    requesting them without having to BUY them and also pay the shipping during
    that same phone call. ("Hey, the option was there and you chose not to pay
    the $10.")

    Just a guess, but that's where all of this seems to be heading.

    Given the support and service Dell provided just a few short years ago (when
    desktop systems were $2,000+), we all got spoiled by the service/support
    standard that was set. Now that desktops *with* LCD monitors can be had for
    $600 or less, we still expect the same service and support standard, and
    that's unrealistic for the money spent. While I may not like it, to me it's
    simple business math.

    That said, this has and probably will create some ill will among some
    buyers.

    A Few? Many? Most? who knows......

    Stew

    S.Lewis, Aug 11, 2005
  19. Heh, my first Dell was a loaded XPSB866r I bought in May, 2000, cost
    $3,300 including THX certified speakers and a 19" Trinitron CRT monitor.

    Sparky Spartacus, Aug 12, 2005