More legal affairs: All Computer vs. Intel

Discussion in 'Intel' started by Yousuf Khan, May 20, 2004.

  1. Yousuf Khan

    Yousuf Khan Guest

    http://www.internetnews.com/bus-news/article.php/3356731

    According to its patent, "Apparatus and Methods for Enhancing the
    Performance of Personal Computers", which All Computers has held since 1996,
    Intel owes it some big money ($500 mln, probably in US $ too).

    Now I didn't realize it till now, Intel only started enhancing the
    performance of its computers since 1996. Until that point, computers had
    remained at exactly the same performance level for decades. The transition
    from 8088 to 286 -- imaginary. The introduction of of the 32-bit 386 in
    1986 -- happened completely inside my mixed-up head -- PCs must've been
    32-bit all along. Adding the L1 cache and FPU right into the same die with
    the 486 -- buh, never happened. Pentium? Everything had been a Pentium all
    along since the beginning of time, until Intel finally introduced the
    Pentium Pro in 1996 -- which *must* be based off of this patent. It only
    makes sense. :)

    Yousuf Khan

    Yousuf Khan, May 20, 2004

  2. Of cos it does! How else did you think all those turn your 286 into
    386 programs and turn your 386 into a 486 programs worked??? They were
    just unlocking crippled functionality and speeds that evil Intel
    locked up! :ppPPPPp

    The little lost angel, May 20, 2004

  3. I think Patriot Scientific, also mentioned in the article, makes for much
    better reading - all that intra- & inter-family squabbling is much more
    fun.

    Rgds, George Macdonald

    George Macdonald, May 21, 2004
  4. Yousuf Khan

    KR Williams Guest

    @news04.bloor.is.net.cable.rogers.com>, news.tally.bbbl67
    @spamgourmet.com says...
    I surely don't understand this one. Have you read the patents?
    The article didn't list the patents, so I did a search on
    Assignee= All Computers and cam up with only two patents:
    5,450,574 (1995) and 5,506,981 (1996). Both basically describe a
    method and apparatus for an "accelerator *board*", really an
    overdrive processor. Basically they're running the processor at
    a higher speed than the bus, then switching to a lower speed
    oscillator when bus activity is required (why not wait states?).
    Memory is added to the accelerator *board* to minimize bus
    traffic. I don't see how accelerator *boards* are generally
    applicable to current Intel offerings.

    Get the popcorn. This should be fun! ;-)

    KR Williams, May 26, 2004
  5. Yousuf Khan

    Tony Hill Guest

    The only thing that jumps to mind here is that they might be going
    after the old Slot 1 PII and PIII chips. I suppose you could call the
    PCBs in the cartridges "accelerator boards"... or at least you could
    if you were a scumbag lawyer. They did run at different frequencies
    from the bus, though I don't think there was any oscillator used to
    lower the speed for bus activity (they just had two independent
    buses).
    More likely to be sad as millions upon millions of day-traders run
    around yelling how great All Computer's is and how they are going to
    win.

    Tony Hill, May 27, 2004
  6. Yousuf Khan

    KR Williams Guest

    Read the patents. They have no claim against the PII/III either.
    THey had a constant clock to the bus, and no on-board at-speed
    "memory". It's a long stretch to claim cache as "memory".
    Indeed! If one were to play the wheel, one would look at this as
    another RMBS. Though these claims are even more silly! Read 'em
    and weep!

    KR Williams, May 28, 2004
  7. Yousuf Khan

    Tony Hill Guest

    Ahh, but Keith, you are not a scumbag lawyer. Don't expect them to
    let little things like the fact that the patents don't cover the
    technology stop them from CLAIMING that their owed lots of money!
    The worst part is that it probably WILL be another RMBS... or at least
    it would if the company was public. Actually this company doesn't
    seem to exist at all! They don't seem to have a website, they aren't
    publicly listed and I can't find any sort of contact info for this
    company at all, not even a mailing address!

    Tony Hill, May 28, 2004