More, Plus Question re Inability to Install new Definitions for , either NAV or Ad-Aware

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Marilyn E. Burford, Aug 17, 2004.

  1. Neither LiveUpdate or the new Ad-aware will install the new definitions.
    In NAV's case I'm getting the LU6004 error. In Ad-Aware's case am getting
    a msg. after download stating: "Downloaded Definitions File Could Not Be
    Read, Please try again."

    Regarding the NAV defs, I fllwd Symantec instructions to delete everything
    in the LiveUpdate/Downloads folder. Didn't help. Same error (failure to
    authenticate).

    I can't remember if I mentioned this here or not but this has all started
    since a new hard drive was installed last Friday, to replace one that had
    multiple bad sectors. A friend ghosted an image of the old drive contents
    to a network card, and then when I got the new drive, put that image on
    same.

    So, let's say that some Windows ME file that makes it possible for these
    definition files to be read/authenticated/installed has become corrupted.
    Does anyone know which file that might be? If I could find out maybe I
    could replace that file with an uncorrupted version...?

    The fact that I had a problem with the old Ad-ware and getting the new
    defintion file, and uninstalled that, and am now having a problem getting
    new definition files with the NEW Ad-aware, suggests th problem does not
    lie directly with that program, doens't it? On the plus side, I can still
    run Ada-ware, but just with the definitions file that it came with. Can
    still do a virus scan as well, but with last week's definitions. But those
    are becoming redundant I would say.

    Also, if I have to resort to it, what is a really, really, safe site to do
    an online virus scan? Thanks much.

    Marilyn B.

    Marilyn E. Burford, Aug 17, 2004

  2. Marilyn E. Burford

    JAD Guest

    did you install a download "enhancer" /manager?
    The bad sector therory could be the answer, you really should have had
    a BU done before the sector incident.

    JAD, Aug 17, 2004

  3. Marilyn E. Burford

    Don Guest

    Don, Aug 17, 2004
  4. Re download enhancer...no, installed nothing like that. Dunno what one
    even IS.

    What's a "BU"?

    MB

    Marilyn E. Burford, Aug 18, 2004
  5. Marilyn E. Burford, Aug 18, 2004
  6. Marilyn E. Burford

    JAD Guest

    Back up 'BU' hind sight is always 20/20

    JAD, Aug 18, 2004
  7. Ahhh...OK...yes a back-up would've been good but I have no 'burner' type
    drive of any kind to have, say, backed up onto a CD, or a zip drive, or
    whatever. I WAS offered the loan of a zip drive when things started to go
    really haywire but what's to say by that time, what would've been backed
    up would've been corrupted if it was stored where there were bad sectors.
    (And aren't you so right about the hindsight, LOL).

    Marilyn B.

    Marilyn E. Burford, Aug 18, 2004
  8. Well, good news for once. With Symantec's release of today's new
    definitions file, Liveupdate was able to download them and install
    successfully. Gosh am I relieved! But WHAT was wrong with the file
    released on Mon. that WOULDN'T install is what I would like to know. Oh
    well. Hopefully that's the end of THAT bit of drama.

    Now I wonder what Ad-aware might or might not do....

    Marilyn B.

    Marilyn E. Burford, Aug 19, 2004
  9. Well by cracky, Ad-aware has also done a perfect download and install of
    those definitions that I've been trying to get all week as well. Wish I
    knew what the heck's been going on all week that was screwing things up
    with these two programs and their def download/installs. I wonder if the
    fact that I'm on a dial-up connection played a role...

    MB

    Marilyn E. Burford, Aug 19, 2004