    down to 16VDC for IBM ThinkPad's.

    -Joe
    Remove NOSPAM to email

    Joe, Jun 14, 2004

  2. Joe

    Zebedee Guest

    If It's any help, I have an old IBM 760EL charger that's broken that can be
    played with?

    --
    Yours

    Zebedee

    (Claiming asylum in an attempt
    to escape paying his debts to
    Dougal and Florence)

    Zebedee, Jun 14, 2004

  3. You have got no chance!
    Schematic drawings/diagrams of the type you require are
    not available in the public domain. I believe they are all
    "Company Confidential" or some other restrictive caveat.

    From the info in your post you sound like a guy who knows
    a bit about electronics - which is a lot more than any of the
    tech support people - and a lot of authorised service engineers!

    I reckon your best bet would be to find a friendly electronics
    engineer who has experience in doing this kind of job.....
    It's either that or check Ebay for a Thinkpad PSU!

    Michael in Glenrothes, Scotland

    Michael Strefford, Jun 14, 2004
  4. Joe

    Andrew Guest

    : Duh ! Somebody get me a frying pan !
    : "you dont need a manual to use it sir, you plug it in the cigarette lighter"

    : I need schematic for TOSHIBA: PA750L auto adapter (18 volt 4 pin) its not on
    : the websight
    : Not ONE person at Toshiba's "expert" tech support knows what a schematic,
    : pin out, DC-DC converter even is !!!
    : Well at least they were VERY nice and spoke understandable English

    : I want to convert the voltage regulator and 4 pin current sensing circuitry
    : down to 16VDC for IBM ThinkPad's.

    And you would go to all this trouble instead of spending $15 for an AC
    power inverter because - ?

    Andrew
    --
    ----> Portland, Oregon, USA <----

    Andrew, Jun 15, 2004
  5. Joe

    Joe Guest

    No No, You've got that all messed up LOL
    Im NOT talking about abundant Stinkpad 360-570E AC adapter's !

    I got a case 10 new in the box DC AUTOMOBILE adapters for nothing with some
    ThinkPad's I baught.
    We use them for GPS (boating) and 802.11B WAN boat to house for
    summer....got it ?

    -Joe

    Joe, Jun 15, 2004
  6. Joe

    Joe Guest

    Thanks, Like somebody said:
    I finally got through to Toshiba and was told only authorized service tech's
    get info like that.

    Look's like I'm going to have to buzz it out and do it the long way.
    It usually involves changing a Zener diode or Regulator IC in the secondary
    regulator, sometimes you just connect a DMM and turn a trim pot

    Joe, Jun 15, 2004
  7. Joe

    Andrew Guest

    : No No, You've got that all messed up LOL
    : Im NOT talking about abundant Stinkpad 360-570E AC adapter's !

    I'm not talking about an AC adaptor, either.

    : I got a case 10 new in the box DC AUTOMOBILE adapters for nothing with some
    : ThinkPad's I baught.
    : We use them for GPS (boating) and 802.11B WAN boat to house for
    : summer....got it ?

    Yep. Why can't you just buy a power inverter to plug into the
    cigarette lighter to provide AC power, so you can power your laptop or
    GPS or anything else you want from a DC source? Is it really worth
    getting a schematic and messing with the electronics?

    Andrew
    --
    ----> Portland, Oregon, USA <----

    Andrew, Jun 15, 2004
  8. Joe

    Joe Guest

    I have 10 laptops ! and 10 of these 18 volt DC chargers
    The problem is worth solving.
    I have reworked switching inverters and power supplys before.
    ........not buying 10 150 watt 12VDC to 110VAC inverters to run 28 watt AC
    chargers

    2nd problem is on a boat even the smallest 12VDC -110VAC 150 Watt inverter
    idols at 8 amps (at 12 VDC that's around 90 watts per hour)...to drive a 28
    watt inverter ?
    Converting 2 times through even the most efficient oscillators and torriod
    core transformers wastes to much power. We run solar or wind power with
    deep cycle batteries here, starting the engine is a last resort.

    I could build a 10.6 NIMH series charger/supply and go straight into the
    laptop 10.6 volt battery rails using some isolation diodes, thermal cutoff.
    That's "Coyote hacky" and more time consuming,
    -Joe

    Joe, Jun 15, 2004
  9. Joe

    Tony Hwang Guest

    Hi,
    So, you seem to know it all and why bother calling tech support?
    Tony, VE6CGX

    Tony Hwang, Jun 15, 2004
  10. Joe

    Joe Guest

    Read the topic
    Eh, figures !
    The topic I posted a topic about schematic acquisition.
    Not a sparring match, Spanish inquisition or detailed engineering level
    discussion on switching supplies.As far as you question: A schematic will
    make what I want to do easier that's all.
    Why not go fire up the HW-101, Yaesu whatever and go hassle the gearheads
    on the 75 meter splinter group Eh !

    -Joe,

    "Tony Hwang"> Hi,

    Joe, Jun 15, 2004
  11. Joe

    Tony Hwang Guest

    Hmmm,
    Ever hear of reverse engineering? For the time waiting for tech support
    answer your call waiting, listening to music, I'd have done it myself.
    Who is gonna need a shcematics for such a simple stuff? I just picked
    up a broken guitar amp made in the '70s from eBay DIRT cheap. Blowing
    main fuse was symptom. When I was trying to find a schematics, they'd
    charge 20.00 for a copy. I did not buy a copy. After spending two
    evenings, it's back
    up and running. My guitar playing son is very happy having another GREAT
    sounding amp for the fraction of going price. If I sell it, I'd make
    profit of 4 times the price I paid including shipping.
    Maybe you think you know something but not that well?(no offence intended).
    Tony, VE6CGX
    (class of '66, retired EE)
    P.S. Do you know how to work on tube circuits since HW-101 is mentioned?

    Tony Hwang, Jun 15, 2004
  12. Joe

    Joe Guest

    Yep, my specialty is restoring R-390's, not including my own guitar amps
    Now your comparing a switching supply with referencing circuitry for UVP,
    OVP and OCP (protection) to working on vintage glass audio ?
    "Plonk"

    I'll have to sit and buzz the buggers out when I have time, Im not retired
    ..........will post the results (about 2 weeks).

    -Joe

    Joe, Jun 15, 2004