Most expensive computer case for the Biggest Moron EVER

Discussion in 'Apple' started by Jonathan Brady, Jan 28, 2004.

  1. Jonathan Brady, Jan 28, 2004

  2. Jonathan Brady

    Davoud Guest

    Jonathan Brady:
    You're OK. The guy who did that is brainless.

    Davoud

    Davoud, Jan 28, 2004

  3. I'm nauseous. The part about his friend putting the parts in a G3 is
    equally idiotic.
    His email address is at the bottom of page 2 if you want to flame him
    directly. Just click on the underlined "Andy".
    I say we track him down and tell his parents.

    Ambrose Cohen, Jan 28, 2004
  4. Jonathan Brady typed:

    ok - what's all the fuss? i've tried that site 10 times now, always get
    "too many users are connected". what's the poor lad done to get such
    strong reactions?

    johnny bobby bee, Jan 28, 2004
  5. Jonathan Brady

    Bev A. Kupf Guest

    The not-so-poor lad got a brand new dual-G5 for Christmas. He guts
    the insides (every single thing), puts in an Athlon motherboard with
    a 2.2 Ghz Athlon, just so he can run WinXP on a computer with a G5
    case. Oh, and he starts out by saying, "I love the case, but I'm no
    Mac user".

    He's a spoiled brat, whose parents obviously got him the wrong
    computer for Christmas. This was his way of "fixing" it.

    Bev A. Kupf, Jan 28, 2004
  6. Jonathan Brady

    jpmcwilliams Guest

    No one but me suspects a hoax??

    John McWilliams

    jpmcwilliams, Jan 29, 2004
  7. Jonathan Brady

    Bev A. Kupf Guest

    I don't think its a hoax. That is definitely a G5 case,
    and it is the kind of article published on overclockers.com

    Bev A. Kupf, Jan 29, 2004
  8. Jonathan Brady

    Peter KERR Guest

    Aaahh, trolls, ya just gotta love 'em ;-)

    Before the official release of the G5 there were a number of case shells
    fitted with empty cpu covers, dummy boards, etc, for toting round demos.
    One of those would be manna to a nerd magazine...

    Peter KERR, Jan 29, 2004
  9. Jonathan Brady

    Geoffrey Guest

    No, I don't suspect a hoax. Spoilt American teenage game-mad brats will
    go to obscene lengths. I personally have seen a Dell AMD system inside a
    QuickSilver case.

    Geoffrey

    (remove EXCESS BAGGAGE to reply via mail)

    Geoffrey, Jan 29, 2004
  10. Jonathan Brady

    Tim Murray Guest

    12:45 a.m. and the server has too many connections. Probably running on a
    Dell. So my comment is written blind...

    Rather reminds me of my 20-something nephew on wife's side of the family. If
    you put my brain and his brain together, you know what you'd have? My brain.

    I happened to unfold my PowerBook at their house one day. The nephew mumbled
    something about, "wha'd ya getta Mac for, dude? Macs suck dude, Windows
    rocks." He was in jail a week later on drug charges. Frickin' moron.

    Now, on the other hand, you suppose you gotta give this kid (in the original
    post) credit from a technical level. As I have not yet seen the work, but
    maybe he's good with a drill...

    Yet as hard as I try to give credit, I hate him. I mean, he could have said,
    "mom, dad, thanks a lot, really, I appreciate it, but I'm just not smart
    enough to go to Mac yet. Could you return it and get me a Windows machine?"

    Tim Murray, Jan 29, 2004
  11. Does that mean that Windows is a gateway drug?

    Neill Massello, Jan 29, 2004
  12. I'd been leaning toward hoax as well, but I was unclear on where one
    would acquire an (almost) empty G5 case...

    I also considered the option that they stripped a G5, temporarily loaded
    the case with those *fine* PeeCee components, took a few pictures,
    then put the G5 back _almost_ as good as new.

    I'll note here that most of the regulars on the OC forums appeared to
    be just as appalled (and suspicious) as we are. Though many of them
    did include the requisite "macs stink, but..." disclaimer. :)

    Looking through the OC forums, I was actually impressed by how
    helpful and supportive they were to each other. And some of the
    mods look pretty cool... :)

    I don't think anyone should judge the folks who frequent that
    site, nor folks who enjoy "tinkering" with their PCs, based on
    this one example.

    Perhaps the most suspicious thing in the whole article was the
    "I wanted a Dell..." bit. Most PC HW enthusiasts (especially those
    who like to mod a system) tend to dislike Dell, because Dell has
    a long history on not using standard motherboards, etc. making their
    boxes hard to upgrade/customize. I think he *wanted* to sound like
    that "Dell Dude" just to further fan the flames.

    That, and the "Mommy bought me this computer..." element.

    It occurs to me that this could be a troll authored by a *Mac* fan,
    rubbing the PC modders noses in the fact that a stock G5 is every
    bit as cool and elegant as anything they could put together...

    Nah. No Mac person would do a thing like that...

    A very skillful troll, or a _really_ clueless PC'er?

    Could certainly be either...

    Jim Glidewell, Jan 29, 2004
  13. Jonathan Brady

    M-M Guest

    I'll join you. I see it as one poster mentioned- the kid got hold of an
    empty case. I don't believe he shows any pictures of the Mac innards he
    supposedly ripped out except a single fan. The other photos show an
    intact Mac.

    m-m

    M-M, Jan 29, 2004
  14. Some loser claims to have gotten a brand-new DP G5 from his parents,
    then hacked everything out of it to put an Athlon motherboard in the
    case. He also put some green glowing lights in there.

    He showed this to a friend of his who is an Apple fan, and his friend was
    appropriately sickened. There may be a happy ending, though -- the
    loser gave his friend all the parts. With any luck, the friend will
    be able to obtain a G5 case and put the G5 back together.

    Matthew Russotto, Jan 29, 2004
  15. Assuming we aren't just having our chains yanked, of course.

    Matthew Russotto, Jan 29, 2004
  16. Well, there's no little doubt that they disassembled a G5 and put a PC
    motherboard and some lights inside. But the story they built around
    it may be just to yank our chains.

    I kind of hope it's not a hoax. After all, everyone's happy -- idiot boy got
    his G5-looking Athlon, his friend got a DP G5 including everything but
    the case, and his parents are blissfully ignorant.

    Matthew Russotto, Jan 29, 2004
  17. Because it won't yet run on a G5, for one.

    No argument here. ;-)

    Garner Miller, Jan 29, 2004
  18. Jonathan Brady

    Roger Guest

    And he would retain something of resale value (a Mac).

    Rog

    Roger, Jan 30, 2004
  19. Jonathan Brady

    Dan Guest

    Right.

    The only reason this guy did this was to get all of you Maccies in a
    tizzy. It's working. Very well.

    Relax. It's only a computer. He can do whatever he wants with it.

    Dan

    Dan, Jan 30, 2004
  20. Jonathan Brady

    Dan Guest

    Yes, but Virtual PC creates a very lame PC. Most games won't work on
    it, and it's pretty slow all around.

    This guy did this for one reason only. To get the world's Maccies in a
    tizzy.

    Relax. It's only a computer.

    Dan

    Dan, Jan 30, 2004