Most limited Netbook ever made!

Discussion in 'Laptops' started by BillW50, Dec 11, 2009.

  1. BillW50

    BillW50 Guest

    BillW50, Dec 11, 2009

  2. BillW50

    Adrian C Guest

    It's a toy.

    Google "Lexibook Laptop" for something similar. That's sold here in the
    UK (by Argos cat# 0817743) for £180 ($292).

    * The Lexibook My First Computer is a real laptop that runs on
    Microsoft Windows CE 5.0 which provides strong protection from viruses.

    * Peace of mind when accessing the Internet is provided by the
    built in parental controls that prevents access to inappropriate websites.

    * Supplied Ready to Go straight from the box with Internet
    Explorer, Messenger, Media Player, Word Processor, Spreadsheet, 6
    language translator & 50 educational games.

    * 8 LCD screen, 1GB flash hard drive, SD (HC) / MMC card reader,
    Samsung 400Mhz CPU, 2 USB Ports, battery life up to 3.5 hours

    * 1 of Lithium Battery Included

    * For ages 6 years and over

    * Size (H) 22.5 x (W) 16.4 x (D) 3 cms

    Customer Reviews

    "Good little computer for kids but unfortunatly you could not get it
    wireless compatiable. so we had to take this item back as wires for
    young children was unsuitable."

    "This little computer is good if you stick to whats already built into
    the lap top but as soon as you go onto the internet thats when the
    problems begin.There just is"nt no memory on it,it just keeps telling
    you to borrow storage from else where in the computer.We bought
    additional 4Gb memory sticks which have done nothing.We have been told
    to get enough memory to play games (which is what my daughters wanted)we
    would have to purchase a hard drive..Not happy,wish we had bought a note
    book instead!"

    Adrian C, Dec 11, 2009

  3. BillW50

    Roger Mills Guest

    It looks about as useful as this one from Maplin! <g>
    http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?ModuleNo=257308&C=email-newsletter&U=09P12-07-NA68JJ&T=341473

    --
    Cheers,
    Roger

    Roger Mills, Dec 11, 2009
  4. BillW50

    Adrian C Guest

    Adrian C, Dec 11, 2009
  5. BillW50

    Adrian C Guest

    Nah, that's a netbook built around the PC architecture. The previous
    models discussed are not PC's, have limited expansion and a firmware
    based operating system of Windows CE.

    If windows CE could be dropped off these, and eldy installed then these
    could perhaps get some serious use.

    http://www.eldy.eu

    Adrian C, Dec 11, 2009
  6. *** If one doesn't think "bloatware", it's plenty useful. (-:

    Richard Bonner, Dec 11, 2009
  7. BillW50

    BillW50 Guest

    AJL wrote on Fri, 11 Dec 2009 14:10:56 -0700:
    Actually it should run Windows 2000 SP4 very well. As I created a
    slipstream SP4 version and it was only 700MB in size after installation.
    Although I did also use Windows Update and that would overwhelm your 2GB
    SSD. Even the 4GB SSD I did this one filled up to about 3GB. So without
    any updates, Windows 2000 SP4 should be just fine on that machine. I
    believe if I only had a 2GB SSD machine, that is what I would do. And
    your 512MB of RAM is perfect for Windows 2000. As it should run fine
    even without a swapfile.
    Are you considering one of those Windows CE netbooks? :-o
    I was thinking of you when I posted this thread. As I for one would
    rather have your limited machine than one of those Windows CE ones. As
    yours has more RAM, more CPU power, and can actually run a real Windows.
    Okay Windows XP would be tough, but it will run Windows 2000 without
    problems. Well if you stay away from updates anyway. ;-)
    It is funny. The first netbooks didn't have Windows at all, but just
    Linux. I thought things were going pretty well actually. And
    manufactures (ok at this time it was just Asus) didn't want to sell
    Windows systems because it was too costly. Well Microsoft didn't want
    Linux to get big into the netbook craze, offered them a great deal on
    Windows XP. So Asus went for it. So when users were given a choice,
    would spent a few bucks more for a Windows version.

    I guess the word is out about Linux. And that is, when in doubt... get
    Windows. Linux itself isn't too bad, but the worst part is that it isn't
    Windows. And I think this is what turns most people off about Linux.

    BillW50, Dec 11, 2009
  8. BillW50

    Bud Guest

    I bought a Asus eeePC with Zandros Linux on it for my neice and she enjoys
    it. After she got used to it and the free high speed Internet provided
    by other PC machines with wireless networks, she was on MySpace in no
    time and had dozens of friends. However, the display has cracked and is
    now useless. To go through the process of trying to find a repair
    center is a headache and a half. BTW, the display is not covered in
    their warranty, bastaards. Got her a monitor, better than mine even,
    but now her interest has wained. Ah, youth!

    Bud, Dec 12, 2009
  9. BillW50

    BillW50 Guest

    In Bud typed on 12 Dec 2009 19:57:22 GMT:
    Actually those EeePC screens are very easy to change. Even swapping out
    the motherboards are very easy too. One of my EeePC netbooks that I gave
    to my nephew, I bought that had a cracked screen on eBay. The guy said
    his wife accidentally sat on it in a chair. And I bought another one
    with a bad motherboard and used the screen from that one. They are much
    easier to work on than most laptops believe it or not. Working screens
    on eBay goes for around 50 bucks.

    BillW50, Dec 12, 2009
  10. A lot of vendors shipped horrendously poor distributions on these
    netbooks. I don't think it's a Linux problem as much as it was a vendor
    problem.

    The Eee is a good example of this: the first Eees shipped with an awful
    mess of a distribution. Lots of people had problems with it -- heck, I
    had problems with it and I'd been using Linux for years.

    If vendors pre-loaded Windows boxes without drivers for some of the
    hardware and with their own custom replacement for the desktop, start
    bar, etc., I suspect that you'd see similar complaints about the Windows
    netbooks.
    Eh. I've installed UNR (Ubuntu Netbook Remix) on a number of netbooks
    for people, and once they get over the "OMG it doesn't look like
    Windows!" hump, they're actually quite happy. The fact that several of
    them have commented on how "it's still fast even after a year!" indicates
    that sometimes, for some people, an OS that "isn't Windows" isn't always
    a bad thing.

    Modern desktop distributions do a stellar job of providing support for
    the tasks that most "average" users want, with the notable exception of
    gaming. For browsing, e-mail, music, movies, and office tasks, Linux
    netbooks are every bit as capable as their Windows counterparts.

    It's unfortunate that a lot of users' first introductions to Linux came
    in the form of fighting with poorly-configured netbook distributions.
    Linux isn't for everyone, sure, but it's definitely ready for the general
    public.

    Robert Tomsick, Dec 13, 2009
  11. BillW50

    Bud Guest

    Yeah, I told them to send me a screen, but they will not do it. Thanks
    for the hint.

    Bud, Dec 14, 2009
  12. *** I would think that people would tend to go for a handheld as opposed
    to a smaller-screened netbook.

    Richard Bonner, Dec 16, 2009
  13. *** Perhaps It may be that they want to run MS software. If not, there
    are Linux desktops that mimic Windows.

    *** It depends on the version. Ubuntu seems to be less of a challenge,
    although newer versions are pretty bloated and have issues.

    A Linux distro I'd recommend for Windows users is Knoppix with the KDE
    desktop.

    Richard Bonner, Dec 16, 2009
  14. *** I have a friend with that same model and operating system. It does
    not take too much effort to get used to it.

    *** Sorry to hear that. I am lucky because just a few minutes away
    is an excellent business: A1 Laptop Repair. They never try to upsell you
    and if you walk in with a 386 laptop, they will attempt to repair it.
    They disassemble old laptops for parts and can often offer used screens.

    *** Hmm, would a cracked screen even fall under warranty, anyway?

    *** Yeah, the e3PCs are meant to be portable, not be encumbered with an
    external monitor. Where do you live? A1 might be an option.

    Richard Bonner, Dec 16, 2009
  15. BillW50

    BillW50 Guest

    In Richard Bonner typed on Wed, 16 Dec 2009 13:29:09 +0000 (UTC):
    Xandros also uses KDE desktop. They come with Asus EeePCs. Although they
    are setup to use easy mode vs. advanced mode which looks a lot more like
    Windows. Although it is hard to find updated applications or
    applications in general for KDE. For example, I haven't seen anything
    newer than Firefox 2.0 yet for it. Although I haven't checked in a few
    months.

    BillW50, Dec 16, 2009
  16. BillW50

    BillW50 Guest

    In Richard Bonner typed on Wed, 16 Dec 2009 13:22:17 +0000 (UTC):
    I used my Palms a lot over the many years. Although I quickly got a real
    keyboard for the thing. As replying to email and newsgroups was a real
    pain without a keyboard. And webpages are too small on PDAs too. So
    netbooks are so much better to carry around and to actually use. I carry
    mine around in a small case with a strap. It works really well. Much,
    much lighter than a laptop as well. Even if I take a few extra batteries
    along with me.

    BillW50, Dec 16, 2009
  17. Firefox isn't dependent on KDE. You should be able to run the
    current 3.0.8 just fine.

    the wharf rat, Dec 16, 2009
  18. BillW50

    BillW50 Guest

    In AJL typed on Wed, 16 Dec 2009 13:48:28 -0700:
    Carrying a netbook is no worse than carrying a small book. It sure beats
    carrying around a laptop. And it takes up barely more room than my Palm
    IIIc with its folding keyboard. Plus it is tons more useful and has a
    far better keyboard to boot. And no stylist to use or lose either.

    BillW50, Dec 16, 2009
  19. BillW50

    BillW50 Guest

    Asus Xandros repository doesn't list any updates to Firefox 2.0.0.7 ('07
    era). And this Thunderbird is 2.0.0.6 (also '07 era) and no updates for
    that either.

    I was just playing a WMA file under Linux and opened up the Add/Remove
    utility and then the Music Manager player locked up. Killed the process
    and now it says that file is gone from my flash disk. Why people put up
    with Linux with the amateurish applications is beyond my comprehension.

    BillW50, Dec 16, 2009
  20. Just install it from mozilla.com.

    the wharf rat, Dec 17, 2009