    I really do not want to install every program along with their patches from
    scratch.
    Any advice on what worked for you?

    Gary Helfert, Apr 3, 2005

  2. There is a problem, but it's not activation. The current version of
    Windows is hardware configured (drivers, etc., but also SIDs (security
    IDs) for the current laptop. It won't run on the new laptop unless the
    new laptop is ***VERY*** similar to the old laptop at the actual device
    and circuitry level.

    Activation is secondary.

    It's a new computer. I'd bite the bullet and install all of your
    applications, one at a time, on the new machine, then move your data.
    The other alternative is to ghost the old drive to the new drive and
    then do a "repair installation". At that point, I'd use the product key
    from the new computer, assuming that they are both the same versions of
    Windows XP (e.g. both Home or both Pro, and presumably both the OEM
    version). You will have to activate, but that should go smoothly (note,
    ALL large OEM activations MUST be done by telephone since February 28th).

    Barry Watzman, Apr 3, 2005

  3. Gary Helfert

    AndrewJ Guest

    Unless the new mobo uses the exact same chipset as the old mobo,
    that's impossible to do. A repair install is almost as long as a clean
    install so I stopped doing that even when the chipsets match. Nothing
    beats a clean install, anyway.

    AndrewJ, Apr 3, 2005
  4. Gary Helfert

    mike Guest

    I had a (rare) pleasant experience.
    Decided to reformat an XP corporate hard drive that had been used in
    another completely different system.
    Stuck it into the new computer and turned it on. It started to boot, so
    I just let it run. The darn thing just figured out what to change,
    reloaded the proper drivers and ran just fine. Even the network came
    right up. Took a while, but I don't think I had to touch it.

    Don't know if there were hidden issues, cause I only played with it for
    an hour or so. Had to reformat it and load
    98SE to get rid of the bloat and make my old software run.

    Any problems you're having with moving a home or pro hard disk are
    DESIGNED IN by M$. Left to it's own devices, the OS seems to be quite
    capable of reconfiguring itself. Maybe I just got lucky...YMMV
    mike

    mike, Apr 3, 2005
  5. Gary Helfert

    AndrewJ Guest

    Both had the same chipset. If one is Intel the other NF2, it will
    never boot. If one is NF2 and the other NF3 or AMD, same thing.
    XP drives are interchangable on 13 out of 15 of my boxes. Since they
    are NF2 chipset even though 4 different companies make the boards.

    AndrewJ, Apr 3, 2005
  6. Gary Helfert

    David Chien Guest

    You can try it - hopefully, XP will only think you've swapped a bunch of
    stuff out, and it'll redetect everything.

    You should set things to their default first like graphics card -
    800x600 resolution at 60hz on a basic VGA card entry just to make sure
    you can see something once you've moved it over.

    David Chien, Apr 4, 2005