    followed by the 85 x 30mm 'pins on the left in two rows' style.

    Best regards,
    Spehro Pefhany

    Spehro Pefhany, Jul 8, 2005

  2. Spehro Pefhany

    Gary Peek Guest

    I have been wondering that for a long time, and have concluded that
    there are so many module sizes and types that you just need to pick
    one, and try not to use the most uncommon of the styles.

    I was trying to figure out what type for us to stock and set as
    a standard for us, and decided on the 16 by 2 sized 122 by 44 mm
    with large characters.

    It is not the most common, but with the aging population and their
    eyesight I thought it best to plan ahead.

    Don't even ask me about backlighting yet!

    Gary Peek, Jul 8, 2005

  3. Spehro Pefhany

    Kryten Guest

    Personally I prefer the 2x7 row for ease of connection with ribbon cable and
    IDC connectors.

    Though I admit the 14-way IDC cable/connectors are less common than the
    10/20/26/40/52 way parts.

    The single-row LCD version might be better for soldering in a row of pins to
    plug into those plastic breadboard things.

    If I were an equipment maker, and wanted to mount the LCD on a front panel
    away from the PCB, the 2x7 seems best.

    Kryten, Jul 8, 2005
  4. Spehro Pefhany

    Stef Guest

    In comp.arch.embedded,
    And why would you want to do that? Direct connection to PCB saves a cable
    and thus saves cost, assembly and a possible failure source. But ofcourse
    all depends on the possibilities of placement and construction in the
    particular equipment. :)

    Stef, Jul 8, 2005
  5. Spehro Pefhany

    Kryten Guest

    Sometimes you don't have a choice.
    Yes I know.

    Yes, sometimes the board has to go one place and the display in another.

    Kryten, Jul 8, 2005
  6. Spehro Pefhany

    James Beck Guest

    Most of the surplus parts I have seen/purchased are the single row
    style. That's the style I chose for a product just because of
    availability. The only time it gets tricky is when you add in
    backlighting. There seems to be no standard for where those extra pins
    are placed in relation to the other 14.

    Jim

    James Beck, Jul 8, 2005
  7. I suppose if one were to standardize on the 2x7 type, one could easily
    go either way, depending on the product.

    Best regards,
    Spehro Pefhany

    Spehro Pefhany, Jul 8, 2005
  8. Spehro Pefhany

    Stef Guest

    In comp.arch.embedded,
    I now see I mis-parsed your post, sorry. What I read was: "... maker,
    _I_ wanted to mount ..."
    And I therefore was wondering why you would insist on mounting the LCD
    away from the PCB. So please forget about the whole subthread here. :-(

    Stef, Jul 9, 2005
  9. Spehro Pefhany

    Franc Zabkar Guest

    The kit suppliers in Australia use the "single row of 14" type. The
    one important difference among these is the non-standard polarity of
    the +5V and ground pins. I have also noticed that the potential
    divider spec for the contrast pin can vary depending on the type of
    LCD.

    - Franc Zabkar

    Franc Zabkar, Jul 10, 2005
  10. I agree

    But almost any configuration you can think of exists, although often
    only on request. Especially for the background pins.

    I have a few LCDs here that have a single row on both the top left
    *and* the bottom-right of the LCD. And various larger LCDs with two
    HD44780's, hence two E lines.

    Wouter van Ooijen

    http://www.voti.nl
    Webshop for PICs and other electronics