    reliability of various manufacturers. Does anyone here have any
    resources or input on the reliability of various makes of laptops?.

    Thanks

    Sniper, Aug 25, 2007

  2. Sniper

    Hertz_Donut Guest

    Since most of them buy from the same builders, they are all similar.
    Since price has become more important than quality to the the average
    buyer, all major brands have declined in quality.

    Honu

    Hertz_Donut, Aug 25, 2007

  3. Sniper

    timeOday Guest

    I go for a 3 year warranty. At least then I know I'll have something
    for 3 years.

    timeOday, Aug 25, 2007
  4. Sniper

    - Guest

    I am worried about the massive amounts of heat the current generation of
    laptops generate. It will be interesting to see if the old benchmarks on
    longevity even apply to this generation or if they get much shorter.

    -, Aug 25, 2007
  5. Current laptops generate less heat (far less) than some previous
    generations. There was a huge drop in power consumption of the CPU when
    Intel moved from processors based on the "Netburst" technology (that is
    basically most "Pentium 4" processors and Celerons based on them) to
    processors based on the alternate technology from Intel's division in
    Israel that started off as the Pentium-M and then became known as
    "Core", "Core Solo", "Core Duo" and "Core 2 Duo".

    Those processors use a LOT less power than the "netburst" processors
    ..... in the range of half as much. [With one exception, all chips
    identified as "Pentium" (without a "-M") are based on netburst. The
    exception is the "Dual Core Pentium" processor that was just introduced
    as a low-cost processor by Intel in April (2007), which is "Pentium-M"
    based. Celeron processors can be based on either Netburst or Pentium-M
    technology, so you just have to know what the situation is for the
    particular Celeron being discussed.]

    Barry Watzman, Aug 25, 2007
  6. Sniper

    SMS Guest

    The Dell Home machines are not as good as the Dell business machines.
    The machines from the business side usually have a 3 year warranty. All
    the manufacturers seem to offer multiple quality levels at different
    price points.

    At least with the 3 year warranty you know you're good for three years!

    Costco now offers a 2 year warranty on laptops they sell at no extra charge.

    SMS, Aug 30, 2007
  7. Sniper

    SMS Guest

    Just don't buy a laptop with a desktop processor! These are the
    el-cheapo laptops with high power processors and short battery life.

    Another thing you should be doing is to ensure that the laptop is raised
    off the table in order to have sufficient air flow. There are lots of
    cooling pads available for this, some have USB powered fans. I built
    some out of plastic with vent holes in the proper locations for each
    laptop, and with a thin fan in the proper location.

    SMS, Aug 30, 2007
  8. Sniper

    Sniper Guest

    I suppose the best bet is to just look for deals with long warranty's.
    Normally Dell have been good to me, I still have an Inspiron 8200
    which works great, mind you that was a very pricey model when I bought
    it in 2003. The Inspiron 6000 was cheap by comparison

    Sniper, Aug 31, 2007
  9. I vote toshiba.

    Bob

    Lazarus Laptops, Sep 1, 2007
  10. Sniper

    amandaf37 Guest

    was it after 3 years warrant or 1 year?

    amandaf37, Sep 2, 2007
  11. Sniper

    amandaf37 Guest

    What brands are avialble at Costco?

    amandaf37, Sep 2, 2007
  12. Sniper

    amandaf37 Guest

    How can I determine whic laptop is such?
    Great tips.

    amandaf37, Sep 2, 2007
  13. Sniper

    amandaf37 Guest

    Which model is their high end right now?

    amandaf37, Sep 2, 2007
  14. Sniper

    Sniper Guest

    The Dell Inspiron 6000 only came with a 1 year warranty, it failed
    literally a few weeks out of warranty. Discraceful

    Sniper, Sep 7, 2007
  15. Sniper

    amandaf37 Guest

    I saw so many different options with different prices. Confusing.
    Where do you get that plastic thingy? How do you make holes? And where
    do you get that thin fan? How do they look like btw? Where do you
    place it?Underneath the plastic? Any pics?

    I have some wood that I bought to make a footrest. What if I use some
    of that wood for legs and the place some woods vertically or
    horizontally to raise the laptop. I most likely won't use the keyboard
    that come with it when I am doing heavy duty work/study. So, it is
    okay if the keyboard is too high for me. And how would I go about
    putting a thin fan. Where do get one of those thin fan anyway?

    amandaf37, Sep 7, 2007
  16. Sniper

    SMS Guest

    The plastic came from Tap Plastics, where they cut to size (I cut the
    holes myself (rather crudely for the rectangular hole but for the round
    hole a hole saw worked fine), but they'll do it for an extra charge). I
    bought some larger rubber feet from an electronics store.

    The thin fan is
    "http://www.allelectronics.com/cgi-bin/item/CF-269/search/5VDC_45MM_COOLING_FAN_.html"
    wired to half of a USB cable
    ("http://www.allelectronics.com/cgi-bin/item/CB-384/124/2"#39;_USB_CABLE,_A-A_.html")
    if you don't have one lying around that you can use. The rubber feet on
    the bottom are
    "http://www.allelectronics.com/cgi-bin/item/RF-615/search/1.46"#34;_DIAMETER_RUBBER_FEET_.html"
    You also need some rubber bumpers on the top like
    "http://www.allelectronics.com/cgi-b...CABINET_FEET,_GRAY_3_4"#34;_X_5_16"#34;_.html"
    because the bolt heads for the bottom rubber bumpers protrude on the top
    side.

    I'm sure wood would be fine.

    Here's a bad photo of it (problems with taking pictures of something
    transparent!): "http://nordicgroup.us/notebookcooler/IMG_0649.JPG"

    The advantage over a commercial unit is that the holes match where the
    vents are.

    Really the fan was probably not necessary, the main thing is to get the
    notebook up a bit so air can flow easily in and out of the vents.

    SMS, Sep 7, 2007
  17. Sniper

    amandaf37 Guest

    Tap Plastics is the store name?
    What do you mean "to half of a USB cable"? You cut them and connect
    them with the usb cable of the USB powered fan? This thin fan comes
    like that, with half of the usb? Would the USB extension cord work
    provided that the fan came with a usb cable, not half?
    I have an USB extension cord though too long. I can wind it and tied
    it. I can also find a short USB extension cord.
    I don't have extra.
    For the rubber stuff, Fry's electronic would have it, right?
    Thanks for all the pic; that helps me a lot. When I get my thinkpad,
    I'll build one based on the vent location on that. In fact, I should
    build one for the laptop I am currently using (my brother's Gateway
    tablet; 512 MB ).

    I am thinking to get a plastic because it'd be lighter to carry
    around. I'll have to find a plastic store. Bummer. I am trying to
    move (in eraly October). May be I will build after I move.
    I see. Then, first, I'll just build one with to raise the laptop; If I
    use just thin pieces of wood, it shouldn't be be heavy. Or I can get
    real cheap (low quality) plastic cutting borad. I have seen the one
    just like clear plastic. Getting from plastic store might be cheaper
    though.

    Have you ever used thermal pad? Anyone else used?

    amandaf37, Sep 7, 2007
  18. Sniper

    Lars Guest

    I vote Thinkpads!

    I have six of them, and I love them all.

    Lars
    Stockholm

    Lars, Sep 7, 2007
  19. Sniper

    SMS Guest

    Yes. "http://www.tapplastics.com/"

    Right, it's just a 5V fan. You take the USB cable, cut it in half, and
    connect the 5V and ground to the fan wires. Of course you use nice heat
    shrink tubing to make it reliable. I also strain relieved it by drilling
    two small holes and running a cable tie through the holes around the USB
    cable. You can see this in the picture just around near where the black
    heat shrink tubing ends. The top little bumpers are placed to match the
    notebook.
    Yeah, at about 5x the price of All Electronics! Home Depot might have
    something acceptable as well.
    If you use thinner wood then maybe use more bumpers to keep it from flexing.

    SMS, Sep 7, 2007
  20. Sniper

    SMS Guest

    I got one of these
    "http://www.thetechgeek.com/content/product.php?pid=26043" for my
    daughters 14.1" Dell Latitude D620. $10 at Fry's. Seems okay, and
    quieter than what I built.

    SMS, Sep 7, 2007