    Which laptop makes, new to 2 year old, are considered the most
    reliable? (ie: the least likely to experience a component failure)

    -Jonathan

    jonfklein, Mar 11, 2006

  2. jonfklein

    AA Guest

    Dell

    AA, Mar 11, 2006

  3. jonfklein

    JHEM Guest

    All laptops are subject to component failures, but IBM/Lenovo Thinkpads have
    the best warranties and product support.

    Closely followed by Dell business class machines.

    Eschew Sony!

    JHEM, Mar 11, 2006
  4. jonfklein

    Mikey Guest

    Yes. Thinkpads have the best support!
    Also, the other "big" companies have good support (like Dell, Apple...)
    but my voice goes to IBM/lenovo ThinkPad!
    James has a good point "All laptops are subject to component failrues".
    If you want to purchase one model first check out groupes and find
    opinion of other users of that model.
    Also, seek for laptops with 3 year warranty period!

    Mikey, Mar 13, 2006
  5. jonfklein

    Notan Guest

    At one point, IBM/Lenovo was outsourcing some of its support.

    Still true?

    Notan

    Notan, Mar 13, 2006
  6. jonfklein

    Kevin Weaver Guest

    I dont agree. Friend had a screen problem where we worked. Bunch of dead
    pixcels. Bigger then a BB is size. One yr old thinkpad. He returned it, They
    called him and told him that they were not going to fix it. After I saw
    that, The company said never again would they buy thinkpad's.

    YMMV

    Kevin Weaver, Mar 14, 2006
  7. jonfklein

    Roy Guest

    Eschew Sony!

    I disagree...I know some people who had only a Sony notebook for more
    than 3 years and it did not suffer any malfunction...I know a few
    people who owns Dell ,HP and IBM notebooks and only a year after it
    broke down..!

    Roy, Mar 14, 2006
  8. jonfklein

    Mustafa Guest

    All this means is that 1 person you know had a Sony that lasted 3 years,
    there could be 10000 other people whos Sonys broke down after 6 months and
    thousands of HP,Dell and IBM users whos laptops have never failed. The only
    statistics that are of any validity are the actual reported failure rates
    from the manufactureres themselves.

    Rob.

    Mustafa, Mar 16, 2006
  9. jonfklein

    Mustafa Guest

    All laptop lcds no matter what the make can be subject to dead pixels and
    all manufacturers will not warrenty an lcd with dead pixels unless it is
    above a set percentage, your friends laptop probably fell below that level.
    Personally I have had nothing but great service from IBM and will only buy
    Thinkpads for my personal laptops for work my company has standardized on
    the Dell Lattitude D610 and so far they have proved to be very reliable (we
    probably use several hundred here in our Vancouver,BC office for our techs
    and sales staff.)

    Rob.

    Mustafa, Mar 16, 2006
  10. jonfklein

    Roy Guest

    All this means is that 1 person you know had a Sony that lasted 3 years,
    Could you provide any statistical records that actual failure rates
    are higher for certain laptop units and less for the rest?

    Roy, Mar 16, 2006
  11. jonfklein

    Roy Guest

    Well good for you...but fortunately I hate Thinkpads<grin>.
    I have a bad experience with such machine some two years back. In fact
    If I fam forced to choose...... I will prefer HP than IBM or Dell.

    Roy, Mar 16, 2006
  12. jonfklein

    Mustafa Guest

    Your choice, personally I wouldn't touch a HP even if I was given it free
    but that's my choice.

    Mustafa, Mar 16, 2006
  13. jonfklein

    Mustafa Guest

    I can't , not even sure the manufacturers would make this available to the
    public but try Google and see what you find.

    Mustafa, Mar 16, 2006
  14. jonfklein

    Roy Guest

    All this means is that 1 person you know had a Sony that lasted 3 years,
    What I mean are verifiable records and links to confirm?
    I was thinking it was only your own self made statistics<G>.

    Roy, Mar 16, 2006
  15. jonfklein

    Notan Guest

    83% of all statistics are made up.

    Notan

    Notan, Mar 16, 2006
  16. jonfklein

    Roy Guest

    83% of all statistics are made up.
    Sound sensible to me Nolan...thanks!

    Roy, Mar 17, 2006
  17. jonfklein

    JHEM Guest

    Not here in the US, but true in some areas overseas.

    Call IBM/Lenovo support in the US and it still rings in Atlanta. How much
    longer that will continue is anyone's guess, but under the terms of the sale
    IBM is obligated to continue to provide support for four more years.

    Regards,

    James

    JHEM, Mar 17, 2006