    Thank you.

    Daniel
    Paris

    Dan, Apr 11, 2007

  2. Dan

    Dan Guest

    I tested both laptops on my own. The problem is that their fan is on even
    after programmes have stoped running.

    Daniel

    Dan, Apr 11, 2007

  3. Dan

    Phil Sherman Guest

    Dont judge noise by what you've seen. Fans are temperature controlled
    and will run when the system is hot. Most systems in stores are setup to
    run the processor at full speed all the time which makes the CPU run as
    hot as possible. Demand modes let the processor idle most of the time
    but still provide full speed computing when needed.

    Phil Sherman

    Phil Sherman, Apr 11, 2007
  4. Dan

    JHEM Guest

    Then the CPU power wasn't set to adaptive. My Core2 Duo T60P is dead silent
    when idling and the fan can barely be heard even with my ear pressed to the
    air outlet.

    As processing speed and requirements increase the fan speed will also
    increase, but never to the point where I find it objectionable.

    JHEM, Apr 11, 2007
  5. Dan

    Dan Guest

    Interesting. What's the complete name of your T60P? Maybe we're not talking
    about the same laptop and I'd switch to your reference.

    Daniel

    Dan, Apr 12, 2007
  6. Dan

    JHEM Guest

    JHEM, Apr 12, 2007
  7. A friend once had an IBM Thinkpad X22 that was completely silent but
    very hot. I bought the same model. Turned out there were about 22
    different subtypes. Mine wasn't identical. I remember his was metal
    underneath.

    Maybe best thing is to have a method of checking laptops for this,
    before buying. A program like notebook hardware control, shows cpu
    load. Speedfan shows temperature.

    It'd be nice to be able to stres the CPU to a certain % for a certain
    time.
    I will look into whether prime95 can do that.

    One could stress it 100% but I wonder if that's a bit rude to the
    customer?

    The thing is, you probably need the computer for hours to do these
    tests.

    A friend had a Toshiba Satellite Pro. Probably a P4-M. I have prob
    same model but .2GHz higher. His was bizarre. HDD was silent, couldn't
    hear it at all. Fan was silent, except when extremely when processor
    was extremely stressed. I think we managed to get the fan running by
    running a program with an infinite for loop - for a while!

    My Toshiba satellite pro the fan is off or inaudible at least. But it
    goes on once in a while, when the cpu reaches over 50c, just to bring
    it down again.

    I wonder if stressing a CPU 100% but making sure the temp doesn't get
    to high, is rude? It prob isn't.. It may be worth visiting
    characters selling 2nd hand laptops and doing that test!!

    Though I fear you'd be visiting a lot of people - and it may take
    hours. Quite awkward. I guess you could do it in a small shop.

    Once you have the data about CPU Load, CPU Temp, Fan going on at what
    temp. You'd need to know how your applications stress the CPU.

    Another basic test would be what the CPU's temp is once in windows
    after a few hours.. if perhaps, browsing the web. And what its temp is
    when the fan goes on. You could ask before buying

    Also-
    There are some Ultra portables / ultraportables or Tablet PCs with
    fanless cpus Palmtops too - and you may be able to attach a keyboard
    to one of them.

    Do report back with any ideas or discoveries.

    jameshanley39, Apr 12, 2007