    Time to "mothball" some computers I've got kicking around.

    Are mothballs safe to expose to the hardware? Should I be using citronella
    pellets instead?

    user, Aug 14, 2006

  2. user

    gfretwell Guest

    Silica Gel and a plastic bag is a better option.

    gfretwell, Aug 14, 2006

  3. user

    Arno Wagner Guest

    Agreed.

    Why do you want to use mothballs anyways? There is nothing moths can
    eat in a computer. The "mothballing <something>" is just a figure
    of speech....

    Arno

    Arno Wagner, Aug 15, 2006
  4. user

    user Guest

    There are lots of critters around my house, and I don't want them taking up
    residence in unattended boxes. I do not think silica Gel wil deter them.

    user, Aug 15, 2006
  5. user

    Loren Buhle Guest

    The only potential problem is the binding of the napthalene (contents of
    tof the mothballs) to the circuit board. Why not put the boards in the
    static free bags (don't use plastic bags as they may generate static
    discharge)...put the bags in a box..and then put the mothballs in the box.
    This will separate the mothballs from the boards (which are inside circuit
    boards.

    If you don't have the bags, you can always take a board (e.g. the modem
    card) and stick it in a plastic bag (any seal-able bag will do) with the
    moth balls. This will concentrate the vapor with the circuit board. If
    that works...then co-mingling mothballs with the computer should be OK.

    Loren Buhle, Aug 21, 2006