Motherboard voltages.... Are these readings within normal tolerances

Discussion in 'AMD Overclocking' started by John Leister, Oct 6, 2003.

  1. John Leister

    John Leister Guest

    I just did a voltage check on my motherboard and I'm wondering
    if something has gone wrong because they seem to vary a lot around
    the place.

    Motherboard in question is an MSI KT2 Combo
    CPU is an AMD Athlon XP2000+
    128mb SD ram
    20 gig seagate HDD

    Here is the list of voltages and I am just wondering if they are all within normal tolerance
    for this particular CPU and system.

    +5.0v = 50195v
    +12.0v = 110984v
    -12.0v = 11.661v
    -5.0v = 5.077v
    Vcore = 1.600v

    John Leister, Oct 6, 2003

  2. John Leister

    Miro Guest

    \

    If the computer works then why worry.

    Miro, Oct 6, 2003

  3. John Leister

    Rod Speed Guest

    No, nothing is wrong, just the crummy A/D used to measure them.

    You'll find if you use a real multimeter with a max and min
    capability, the actual voltages dont vary anything like that.
    Yeah, those are fine.

    Rod Speed, Oct 6, 2003
  4. John Leister

    John Leister Guest

    By A/D I assume you mean analog digital converter. And I did use a multimeter

    Thanks

    John Leister, Oct 6, 2003
  5. John Leister

    Rod Speed Guest

    Yep, whats used by the motherboard to show those voltages in the bios.
    So what did you mean by 'they seem to vary a lot around the place' ?

    I assumed you meant that a particular voltage varys quite a bit over time.
    The values shown in the bios do that. With a decent multimeter, they dont.

    Rod Speed, Oct 6, 2003
  6. John Leister

    Miro Guest

    With a scope and memory they do.

    Miro, Oct 6, 2003
  7. John Leister

    rstlne Guest

    So what did you mean by 'they seem to vary a lot around the place' ?
    Heh..
    I think this is a little OT..

    his +12 is out by 7.5% according to his reading but everything else is in
    pretty good I think..
    It's hard for DVM's to read some stuff as posted previously, and unless you
    have a fairly nice scope you could still have problems.. Anyhow.. Those
    readings look good to me and I think the same amp (from the psu) will drive
    all of the lines (except the 5vsb) so if they are out then it will just be
    the design of the supply.. after all the +5v is spot on so if the supply is
    regulating by the +5 line then I say it's all good

    rstlne, Oct 6, 2003
  8. John Leister

    Miro Guest

    Every time I move my mouse the energy consumption of my PC varies. It has a
    very slight but audible change in tone. As with all things in a PC you have
    output, loads and interference caused by fans. ripples, noise ....... hard
    to say what the actual voltage is.

    Miro, Oct 6, 2003
  9. John Leister

    John Leister Guest

    I was a bit concerned at the difference between the positive and negative
    rails

    John Leister, Oct 6, 2003
  10. John Leister

    dr_hardwrae Guest

    There is nothing wrong with those readings. Most PSU's have a +-5%
    tolerance on the +3.3v and +5.0v rails and +-10% on the +12v rail and at
    least 10% for the negative voltages which, BTW, are no longer used. They
    were used for ISA cards, so the negative voltages haven't been used for a
    long time.

    dr_hardwrae, Oct 6, 2003
  11. John Leister

    Rod Speed Guest

    Have fun explaining why a decent multimeter like a Fluke with max/min doesnt see them.

    Rod Speed, Oct 6, 2003
  12. John Leister

    Rod Speed Guest

    Depends on the group..
    Dunno, I assumed that was a typo and he meant +12.0v = 11.984v
    His original of +12.0v = 110984v isnt even possible number of digits
    wise and I know he has an eyesight problem.
    Not with a decent one with max/min
    Dunno, looks like the same typo with that too.

    Rod Speed, Oct 6, 2003
  13. John Leister

    Rod Speed Guest

    Thats irrelevant. The -12 and -5 rails arent used for anything much
    anymore and the -12 particularly is VERY non critical voltage wise.
    Its basically just used for the negative swing on the serial ports now.

    Rod Speed, Oct 6, 2003
  14. John Leister

    Miro Guest

    Multimeters are toys for little boys.

    Miro, Oct 7, 2003
  15. John Leister

    Rod Speed Guest

    Even you should be able to wank yourself out of your
    predicament better than that pathetic effort, child.

    Rod Speed, Oct 7, 2003
  16. John Leister

    Ken Taylor Guest

    Miro, one of the great geniuses of our times. Not.

    Ken Taylor, Oct 7, 2003
  17. John Leister

    Miro Guest

    Anyone that thinks a multimeter is an analytical tool is a "Rod Speed"

    Miro, Oct 7, 2003
  18. John Leister

    Gary Guest

    Gary, Oct 7, 2003
  19. John Leister

    Rod Speed Guest

    Yep, just another terminally pig ignorant know it all child
    who in fact knows sweet **** all about anything at all.

    Rod Speed, Oct 7, 2003
  20. John Leister

    Rod Speed Guest

    It is for that particular question of the range of voltage seen on a
    supply rail with a decent max/min system, pig ignorant fuckwit child.

    Rod Speed, Oct 7, 2003