Motherboards: Replacing the stock (noisy) fan over the Northbridge chip

Discussion in 'Gigabyte' started by Joe Greenman, Oct 30, 2003.

  1. Joe Greenman

    Joe Greenman Guest

    See the title. Can this be easily done?

    Reason: My Northbridge fan on my Gigabyte 8IK1100 is starting to moan
    and whine, a sure sign of impending failure. My 8PE667 Ultra 2 fan
    did the same thing before it went poof (the whole mb, not just the
    fan).

    While I'm at it, I'm looking for a much quieter fan. Amazing how loud
    that little thing is. Ideally, I'd like to replace it with a heatsink
    only (or a fan that's very quiet).

    Anyone actually done this with something that'll work? Any ideas on a
    good place to get the parts?

    Best,
    Joe Greenman
    Detroit

    (Incidentally, I can recommend Zalman for decent quiet P4 CPU fans.)

    Joe Greenman, Oct 30, 2003

  2. Joe Greenman

    Alien Zord Guest

    Yes. I replaced the one on my 8IEXP long time ago with an industrial grade
    product that I happened to have in my box of bits. Same 40 mm size but much
    taller and quieter. And I left the Gigabyte logo'd cover plate off as well
    as all it does is reduces the airflow and creates noise. Got new connector
    bits from a local electronics shop so the whole thing looks as professional
    as the original.

    Alien Zord, Oct 30, 2003

  3. Joe Greenman

    Peder Guest

    (Joe Greenman) wrote in
    Maybe this? http://www.svc.com/zazmnobrhe.html

    Peder, Oct 30, 2003
  4. Joe Greenman

    Peder Guest

    (Joe Greenman) wrote in
    A no-cost option would be to remove the fan from the NB, carefully peel
    back the sticker on the bottom, a lube it with half a drop of oil on a
    toothpick.

    Peder, Dec 18, 2003