Motherboards with ISA slots and P-4 Prescott compatibility?

Discussion in 'Supermicro' started by Some Guy, Jun 25, 2005.

  1. Some Guy

    Some Guy Guest

    The Soyo SY-P4I 845PE ISA and the Supermicro P4SCA have been around
    for a couple of years and both have 3 ISA slots:

    http://www.soyousa.com/products/proddesc.php?id=194
    http://www.supermicro.com/products/motherboard/P4/E7210/P4SCA.cfm

    Problem is, it's practically impossible to get a reliable supply of
    Socket 478 northwood version Pentium's, and it's getting impossible to
    get a reliable supply of Celeron's (because even though Intel still
    seems to be making northwood versions of Celerons, nobody wants to
    stock them).

    So I'm wondering if either Soyo or Supermicro (or anyone else) is
    planning a Prescott-compatible motherboard with ISA slots (at least
    1). Either socket 478 or 775.

    (and don't say that ISA is dead because although it is and has been
    for the consumer channel for years it is not yet dead for some
    industrial / commercial applications).

    Some Guy, Jun 25, 2005

  2. Some Guy

    DaveW Guest

    In the commercial marketplace, ISA motherboards are dead. So the answer to
    your question is, No, there will NOT be any manufacturer producing Prescott
    capable motherboards with ISA slots.

    DaveW, Jun 26, 2005

  3. Some Guy

    kony Guest

    How is that a problem?
    There is a gun to your head and you die if you don't have a
    next-gen P4 platform for ISA cards? Seems doubtful.

    There is a concept known as "lifetime buy". That means
    _now_, you buy all the parts you need for the lifetime of
    the application. Concepts such as "impossible to get" are
    nonsense though when it comes to a Northwood (if you're not
    picky about the exact model)- you do it like anybody else
    would, which is to search, find, then buy.
    http://www.google.com/froogle?q=Northwood+P4&sa=N&start=20

    What is the application of the system?
    I find it questionable that you need a modern PC or
    cheap-server class board for typical uses of an ISA card.
    On the contrary, it'd be an expensive waste of power, noise,
    etc to go so overboard with most ISA-based tasks.

    .... then buy an industrial board, not a PC/cheap-server
    board. If you're (Presumably) already using these ISA
    boards with older ISA-featured motherboards, just leave them
    alone. If/when the time comes, you'll just need to switch
    to PCI alternatives like everybody else. I'm not implying
    there might necessarily be some exact-equivalent of your ISA
    cards in PCI form, rather that there's likely a way to still
    get the job(s) done without ISA.

    kony, Jun 26, 2005
  4. Some Guy

    Some Guy Guest

    What's your fucking problem?

    I don't need to be brow-beaten by shit like you.

    If you can't answer the question then shut your pie hole.

    You have no idea what the application is for these boards. So don't
    go around second guessing me.

    Some Guy, Jun 26, 2005
  5. Some Guy

    kony Guest

    Funny, it seems you had the problem.

    You argue that bit about "ISA not dead... industrial uses".
    YES, uses for which an industrial board is often more
    appropriate.
    Perhaps you only need be told how to get the job done?

    Were we supposed to scour the internet searching for more
    boards that have ISA slots, JUST so you don't have to do it
    youself? I don't think so.

    Well I guess you're screwed, since you couldn't even be
    bothered to mention what that application was.

    It's not unreasonable to second-guess someone who seems to
    want (but no EXPRESSED need) newest technology, but not just
    newest, also largest and most power hungry for tasks usually
    not needing it. You would tend to be second-guessed because
    others do manage to get by without trying to shove ISA cards
    in new system builds. Like it or not your time using old
    ISA cards draws nearer a close. If you dont' want
    industrial boards you should seek alternative interfaces-
    nobody said you had to LIKE it.

    kony, Jun 26, 2005
  6. Some Guy

    Guido Guest

    ISA is DEAD !!!

    Guido, Jun 26, 2005
  7. Some Guy

    Matt Guest

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...ce=&MaxPrice=&SubCategory=343&Submit=Property

    What is so tough about that?

    Unless I am wrong, you will be able to get northwoods from PC
    liquidators for many years.

    Matt, Jun 29, 2005