Motor Torque/Speed versus Motor Winding

Discussion in 'Embedded' started by jonsquire2000, Jun 6, 2005.

  1. Maybe someone can shine a light on a servo motor dimensioning problem.

    I'm testing a closed loop servosystem (motioncontroller with Brushless
    motor) and i don't have enough 'servo stiffness' at low speed. (due to
    a relativly high load inertia)

    We placed a 1:3 gearbox inbetween motor and load, and this solved the
    problem.

    I would like to get rid of the gearbox (noise).

    So my idea was using the same motor with another winding (Double
    Voltage constant, Double Torque constant)

    Do i make a mistake by saying that this new winding will have - used at
    the same voltage - a lower speed and a higer torque, so resolving my
    lack of torque at low speed ?

    What is confusing me is that both windings have the same cont. torque

    Thx

    Stijn

    jonsquire2000, Jun 6, 2005

  2. Torque goes with current, not voltage.
    You want to match the drive to the motor. Voltage in a servo drive is used
    to offset the generated voltage of the motor. The DC resistance is usually
    very low, and typically requires low voltage to get max current when the
    motor is not turning.

    There is not enough information to answer your question, but if the drive
    capabilites are not matched to the motor, changing windings is one thing
    to do.
    Continuous ratings are really thermal ratings.

    Bryan Hackney, Jun 6, 2005