    Tim McNamara Guest

    From the classic Mac OS to OS X and now from OS X to iOS for Macs. May
    not be a jump I will be willing to make, we'll have to see how it pans
    out as more information becomes available. Playing around with my
    wife's iPad and iPhone, iOS is just too limited and toy-like for it to
    be the OS on my main computer.

    Tim McNamara, Feb 16, 2012

  3. Warren Oates

    Alan Browne Guest

    Sheesh. Leave it alone already!

    While Apple seem to be making the wrapper do more and more I don't think
    they've done much under the hood of real interest since GCD in Leopard -
    other than stripping out Rosetta - and that was not a good thing.

    Alan Browne, Feb 16, 2012
  4. Warren Oates

    Alan Browne Guest

    It's just wrapper and connection/integration. The OS doesn't change.

    Alan Browne, Feb 16, 2012
  5. Howard S Shubs, Feb 16, 2012
  6. Warren Oates

    Fred Moore Guest

    Since, Leopard to Snow~ was 22 months (Wikipedia), is the approximately
    1 year (we don't know the actual release date yet) between Lion and
    Mountain~ a tacit admission that Lion was half-baked?

    Fred Moore, Feb 16, 2012
  7. Warren Oates

    Király Guest

    ....which is now on life support.

    OS X is dead. iOS for Mac is its successor.

    Király, Feb 16, 2012
  8. Apparently, Mountain Lion is merely an addition of various apps and
    interfaces, and not an overhaul of the OS itself, the development time
    wouldn't be as long as for the past few generations of OS upgrades.

    BTW, notice that there's no number associated with it? It's not being
    called Mac OS X 10.8.

    Also, a beta version of Messages is available for downloading.

    Michelle Steiner, Feb 16, 2012
  9. Warren Oates

    Davoud Guest

    Tim McNamara:
    That's not an OS jump, it's a leap of your imagination. The Mac OS
    remains the Mac OS. That it is getting a few applications to better
    enable it to interact with IOS devices doesn't change it into IOS. IOS
    will *not* be coming to the Mac.
    Are you really that confused, or is that cynical hyperbole? Once again,
    IOS isn't going to the OS on anyone's Mac.

    Secondly, as commercial and military pilots, scientists, engineers,
    photographers, and people in many other disciplines perform serious,
    important work on iPads, I know that they don't consider IOS to be
    toy-like at all. And I think that they will welcome the broadened and
    improved communications between IOS and Mac OS.

    Davoud, Feb 16, 2012
  10. Warren Oates

    Davoud Guest

    Howard S Shubs:
    After years on Usenet I should not be amazed to see people condemning
    products they have not seen and know practically nothing about, yet
    sometimes I just can't help being amazed.

    The answer to your question is, no trouble at all. The same goes for
    System 7, Windows 3.1, Windows 95, Windows 98, Wonderful Windows
    Vista, Linux, and CP/M. You can buy a computer with any of those
    pre-installed for under $100. Have at it.

    Davoud, Feb 16, 2012
  11. Warren Oates

    Alan Browne Guest

    We'll see if it's half priced.

    Alan Browne, Feb 16, 2012
  12. Warren Oates

    Alan Browne Guest

    Horseshit.

    Alan Browne, Feb 16, 2012
  13. Warren Oates

    Alan Browne Guest

    I suspect that ML will have some behind the scenes connection to the new
    Apple television
    Thx.

    Alan Browne, Feb 16, 2012
  14. Warren Oates

    Alan Browne Guest

    Enlighten me. And don't bother mentioning the cloud.

    Alan Browne, Feb 16, 2012
  15. Warren Oates

    Alan Browne Guest

    Funny how that contradicts your reply to Tim.

    Alan Browne, Feb 16, 2012
  16. Warren Oates

    Fred Moore Guest

    Well FWIW, CNET claims it's 10.8.
    <http://news.cnet.com/8301-27076_3-57378751-248/apple-mac-os-x-mountain-l
    ion-takes-more-bites-out-of-ios/>
    (caption under first picture: Apple's upcoming Mac OS X 10.8, dubbed
    Mountain Lion is coming this summer.)

    Fred Moore, Feb 16, 2012
  17. Warren Oates

    Alan Browne Guest

    Reading the ML page it is all wrapper. Yes the underpinnings are there
    in the required _apps_ to do so, but there is no evidence of big changes
    to the OS proper - unlike Leopard when grand changes such as GCD came
    out or the (completed) evolution to 64 bit. I read this as increased
    inter-app connectivity/coordination and such done in apps.

    Alan Browne, Feb 16, 2012
  18. Warren Oates

    Alan Browne Guest

    Your insistence without basis is pathetic.

    Alan Browne, Feb 16, 2012
  19. Pretty easy since I never left it. :) Experimented with a copy on a
    second partition of my MacBook Pro, but didn't like it and decided I'd
    probably skip Lion, even though I fairly quickly jumped on all the
    earlier versions. From a quick skim, looks like Mountain Lion has more
    of some of the kinds of things I didn't like about Lion.

    I already didn't like what appeared to be the iOS-inspired parts. Now
    Apple makes the iOS influence quite explicit, highlighting it as a
    "feature".

    Fortunately this relatively new iMac will probably last me quite a few
    more years before I have to think too hard about my next main desktop
    and decide whether it will be a Mac at all.

    Richard Maine, Feb 16, 2012
  20. Twitter, iCould, Messages, Game Center... WTF?

    How about fixing Frankenstein's GUI, broken Spaces, auto-save
    destruction, memory bloat, and virtual memory thrashing?

    10.6 was the OS that helped many Silicon Valley offices adopt
    Macintoshes as a standard computer configuration. It was easy to use,
    integrated well with other systems, and a great performer on laptops.
    New computers with 10.7 are despised because they're slow, clumsy, and
    buggy. Another round of dumbing-down will force a switch to Windows and
    Linux.

    Kevin McMurtrie, Feb 16, 2012