    Has anyone tried this before?

    80mm to 120mm adapter
    http://www.coolerguys.com/840556056423.html

    Carl, Jan 19, 2006

  2. Carl

    Don Taylor Guest

    Once when visiting my mother, to untangle the multitude of computer
    problems that she creates between every visit, she said that the CD
    caddy was hot when she took it out of the case. This made about as
    much sense as the rest of her explanations of computer problems but
    I crawled under the desk to see what was going on.

    This was a huge tower case with a nice stable 486 system in it
    (years ago). And I realized it was way too quiet.

    Turns out that the power supply fan had died and it was only the
    quality of the components, only having a 486, and the size of the
    huge case that had kept the temperatures down to where it hadn't
    caught fire.

    She is a hundred miles the other side of no-where and if I didn't
    bring the parts with me I can't get them.

    Short answer, I canibalized the only fan I had in any equipment
    with me, 120mm 120volt, and duct taped it over the power supply
    exhaust port. That sucked enough air out of the case to keep the
    temperature down until I made the next trip.

    So it can be done. And with less of an adapter than you are
    suggesting.

    Don Taylor, Jan 19, 2006