    reinstall everything. Does anyone have experience with doing this? Is
    it possible to just unplug the drives from the ICH5R and plug them into
    the Silicon Image controller?

    copo24, Apr 20, 2006

  2. copo24

    TomG Guest

    the bios is completely different between the two controllers so the raid
    will most certainly not even be recognized when switching from one to the
    other. the only way I can see you not having to reinstall stuff is to
    enable the raid controller you are switching to if not already enabled,
    installing drivers for that controller so the OS will have them to enable
    seeing the controller, then doing a disk image style backup, converting the
    raid over to the different controller (cabling, raid stripe setup, etc.),
    then restoring the disk image to the new raid.

    that would be my approach...

    TomG, Apr 21, 2006