Moving notebook HDD to desktop system to recover data

Discussion in 'Laptops' started by Peter Szmulik, Jan 28, 2004.

  1. Hi

    Would you happen to have any experience in moving a notebook HDD to a
    desktop to recover data?

    My Fujitsu Lifebook S6010/WinXP Pro gave me a black screen the other
    day. Belive it's a broken lid switch that causes the system to go into
    suspend mode - with no obvious way of return it to live mode without a
    detour to the repair centre...

    I didn't want to be without my data while the notebook is being
    repaired so I bought an adapter at the local PC dealer, a small
    PC-board that connects to the HDD, and to the desktops IDE and power
    cables. Got that connected to the secondary master connector on a
    desktop/WinXP Pro system. Booted the desktop but found no new device
    in the OS, checked the device manager: only the primary master.
    Powered off/on and checked the BIOS settings, they where on
    auto-detect, saved/exit + re-boot. Still only detected the primary
    master. I belive the disk powers up.

    Any clue, anyone?

    Cheers
    Peter

    Peter Szmulik, Jan 28, 2004

  2. Peter Szmulik

    Ian Stirling Guest

    Are you sure you've connected it the right way down?

    Ian Stirling, Jan 28, 2004

  3. It's easy to put those adapters onto the 2.5" drives backwards.
    USUALLY, this won't do any permanent harm, but the drive won't work (in
    some cases, however, you may damage the 2.5" drive and/or the
    motherboard IDE port). Make sure that you have it on correctly.

    It's possible, but much less likely, to have a master/slave jumpering
    problem.

    In order for this to work, the hard drive must, of course, be seen by
    the BIOS. If you don't see the drive in the BIOS, it's not even
    necessary to boot up the operating system.

    Usually when the lid switch "sticks" in the closed position, a tap of
    the switch actuator will cause it return to the open position.

    Barry Watzman, Jan 29, 2004
  4. Agree, I possibly had it wrong the first time
    Double-checked that one, should be OK
    Yes, what happens is that in the BIOS menues I can see that the BIOS
    recognised some data from the drive. It might simply be that my
    desktop and/or adapter does not support the drive, a fujitsu MHS2040AT
    drive, Ultra-ATA/100 drive
    Mmm, tried paper clips, tapping, bending the panel slightly upwards to
    release a stuck switch ...

    Peter Szmulik, Jan 29, 2004