    Even if you do learn to speak correct English,
    whom are you going to speak it to?
    — Clarence Darrow

    Wes Groleau, Dec 21, 2013

  2. Wes Groleau

    Wes Groleau Guest

    Well, part of the answer is <http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4848>

    But do I format everything else first, and expect it to "steal" part of
    another partition like it does in installation?

    Wes Groleau, Dec 21, 2013

  3. Wes Groleau

    M-M Guest

    I cannot have a recovery disk because my disk "has a non-standard Boot
    Camp partition setup, in which further partitioning was performed after
    running Boot Camp Assistant, or the configuration that Boot Camp
    Assistant created was manually modified".

    But I do have a 10.6 partition (to run some old stuff) and that serves
    as a recovery disk if I need to boot from another disk.

    M-M, Dec 21, 2013
  4. Wes Groleau

    Wes Groleau Guest

    Forget it. Recovery Assistant is crap.

    If you make a separate partition the right size, the Assistant will not
    offer it as a choice in the list of places to put the Reco.

    If you make a partition to be your system partition, and choose that,
    the assistant makes it an unnamed partition of 650 MB. The rest of the
    space is made inaccessible,

    Here goes my fourth re-partitioning--I'm going to have to run the 10.9
    installer and then rsync to bring it up-to-date.

    --
    Wes Groleau

    “If it wasn't for that blasted back-hoe,
    a hundred of us could be working with shovelsâ€
    “Yeah, and if it weren't for our shovels,
    a thousand of us could be working with spoons."

    Wes Groleau, Dec 21, 2013
  5. Wes Groleau

    JF Mezei Guest

    Suggest you use command line tools to find out the particulars about the
    recovery partition (size etc). Then create it as a partition with the
    right name on the new drive.

    There are probably ways to mount the recovery partition so it becomes
    visible. I really hate it when Apple goes out of its way to hide stuff.
    May itread only of you want to protect users from themselves.

    Not sure about this, but read somethinga bout booting from recovery
    partition (old disk) at which point diskutil sees it and allows you to
    copy it to the new disk.

    JF Mezei, Dec 21, 2013
  6. Wes Groleau

    Wes Groleau Guest

    'diskutil list' is what told me the size and type. But diskutil cannot
    create that type.
    Besides 'diskutil list',

    defaults write com.apple.DiskUtility DUDebugMenuEnabled 1

    adds a Debug' menu to Disk Utility.app This menu contains a choice to
    display all partitions.
    Hmmm, I will have to try that. Hope it doesn't end up making me access
    my backups. :)

    But first, Hobbit part two......

    Wes Groleau, Dec 21, 2013
  7. The partition needs to be created beforehand. According to Apple, it
    needs to be at least 1GB; but Disk Utility won't create a partition that
    small, at least not on a disk of 80GB or more. The diskutil man page
    doesn't say anything about minimum size limits, but it can probably
    create a 1GB partition. (The OS installers create a 650MB Recovery HD
    partition and probably uses diskutil to do it.) Recovery Disk Assistant
    will steal all of the partition, and I don't think you'll be able to
    resize it afterwards.

    It will take more time, but you'll save some space by using the OS
    installer rather than RDA.

    Neill Massello, Dec 21, 2013
  8. Wes Groleau

    Lewis Guest

    Really? Since when?

    I did it a couple of years ago where I sliced a drive into 7 1GB
    partitions and one 493GB one (for entirely silly reasons).

    Lewis, Dec 22, 2013
  9. Salut Wes

    Carbon Copy Cloner can copy Recovery Partitions (and it can do other
    tasks as well)
    <http://www.bombich.com/ccc_features.html>

    Cheers
    Andreas

    Andreas Rutishauser, Dec 22, 2013
  10. Wes Groleau

    Király Guest

    Enable Disk Utility's Debug menu:

    defaults write com.apple.DiskUtility DUDebugMenuEnabled 1

    Then, under the Debug menu, select "Show every partiton". The recovery
    partitions will show in the sidebar.

    Király, Dec 22, 2013
  11. I had no trouble getting RDA to recognize and use a second partition
    that was the minimum 1.07GB (decimal) size that Disk Utility would
    create. Did you use diskutil to create one smaller than that?

    After running RDA, the new recovery partition -- unnamed, unlike the one
    created by the OS installer -- shows up as 650MB, the remaining 400-odd
    megabytes having become the digital angels' portion.

    Substituting SuperDuper for rsync, that's the way I have been upgrading
    my system drives in the post 10.6 era.

    Neill Massello, Dec 22, 2013
  12. Wes Groleau

    Wes Groleau Guest

    It may be that the reason it wasn't seen is that the 650 MB reported by
    diskutil list is NOT the size. It's actually slightly bigger. And the
    10.9 recovery is bigger than the 10.8 recovery.

    What finally succeeded:

    1. Use 'diskutil list' to verify the slice name.

    2. Use 'diskutil info' to get the exact number of bytes.

    3. Use 'diskutil partitionDisk' to make the partition (new disk,
    so I made all the partitions I had planned).

    4. Use 'asr -source /dev/disk0s3 -target /dev/disk1s3 --erase'
    to copy the contents ('dd' probably would have worked).

    5. Use 'asr adjust --target /dev/disk1s3 --settype "Apple_Boot"'
    to finish the job.

    6. 'rsync' is now doing a fine but very time-consuming job of copying
    the non-hidden partitions.

    Wes Groleau, Dec 23, 2013
  13. Wes Groleau

    Wes Groleau Guest

    By the way, for the benefit of anyone worried about USB-2 speeds, the
    rsync timed itself at "8339802.92 bytes/sec" for copying 132.5 GB

    Wes Groleau, Dec 23, 2013
  14. Wes Groleau

    JF Mezei Guest

    Backup systems designed for versatility will go block by block. Read
    one, write one, wait for confirmation.

    Backup systems designed for speed will read into memory many many
    blocks, write to destination many many blocks and then wait for
    confirmation. (which for most blocks has arrived before the request to
    write the last block was made).

    I noticed recently how diskutil was very slow copying about 500 gigs
    onto a 2 TB drive (yeah, I upgraded my MacPro to 2* 2TB drives while
    those drives are still available).

    JF Mezei, Dec 23, 2013
  15. Wes Groleau

    Lewis Guest

    That seems rather slow, even for USB-2.

    OTOH, I've had some USB2 drives that struggled to get half that, so I
    guess it's no surprise.

    --
    TO CHANGE THE FATE OF ONE INDIVIDUAL IS TO CHANGE THE WORLD. I REMEMBER
    THAT. SO SHOULD YOU. Death still hadn't turned to face her. 'I don't

    Lewis, Dec 23, 2013
  16. Wes Groleau

    Wes Groleau Guest

    rsync is neither.