    reason I ask is because I have all 3 on my PC but NO decoder with
    which to play my DVD's! Seems like something is missing in this
    equation. Thanks, zmartha

    zmartha, Nov 27, 2004

  2. zmartha

    Conor Guest

    Everybody licences them from the people who created the CODEC.

    --
    Conor

    Greedo shot first. Greedo ALWAYS shot first. You did not see Solo shoot
    first.
    It never happened. Never, ever. Not in any version. Remember: Greedo
    shot first.

    Conor, Nov 27, 2004

  3. zmartha

    Gordon Scott Guest

    you need a dvd decoder too then i guess :)

    Gordon Scott, Nov 27, 2004
  4. zmartha

    peter Guest

    peter, Nov 27, 2004
  5. zmartha

    Tod Guest

    Tod, Nov 27, 2004
  6. Not necessarily any of the above.

    Many video card makers supply a DVD decoder in their suite of software,
    but it's not required or universal. Either you get it, or you don't.

    DVD drives themselves don't necessarily come DVD playing software, but
    many (I'd say most) do and it's usually Cyberlink Power DVD.

    The OEM versions of Nero that I've received don't have a DVD player
    either, but it's possible that the full retail versions do.

    It sounds to me like you DON'T have even one, much less 3.

    Normally "codecs", when installed, are made available to the entire
    system (e.g. while one application will install it, it can subsequently
    be used by Windows itself or other applications). However a program can
    keep a codec "to itself" if that's what the publisher wants to do.

    Barry Watzman, Nov 27, 2004
  7. zmartha

    Bob Guest

    http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

    VLC will play DVD's (and many other formats) for free and is
    cross-platform/OSS too!

    bob

    Bob, Nov 27, 2004
  8. zmartha

    Geoff Guest

    get PowerDVD or WinDVD, it's just some program to play dvd's with

    Geoff, Nov 27, 2004