MS-6330 = K7T Pro2 and K7T Turbo ? What CPU can be used?

Discussion in 'MSI' started by MHz Tweaker, Jul 3, 2004.

  1. MHz Tweaker

    MHz Tweaker Guest

    Hi all

    I suppose I am not that familiar with the Athlon family of CPU's so
    bear with me.

    I was given 3 MSI motherboards with the following description:

    All have the MS-6330 Lite sticker on one of the bridge chips
    One of the boards has K7T Pro2 VER:1 etched between the PCI slots
    The other 2 boards have K7T Turbo VER:3 etched between slots

    The two K7T turbo boards look like they could have contained 2 extra
    IDE ports and possibly a RAID chip, but none of the parts are on the
    boards.

    I'm guessing these boards will all use the same BIOS updates since
    they seem to have the same North and South bridge chips.

    These boards seem to be for the standard SDRAM memory (PC133 etc...)

    MSI has a whole family of boards listed on their BIOS update page for
    Various boards here:
    http://www.msi.com.tw/program/support/bios/bos/spt_bos_list.php?kind=1&CHIP=Archives&ID=46

    The MS-6330 Lite is listed here:
    http://www.msi.com.tw/program/support/bios/bos/spt_bos_detail.php?UID=129&kind=1

    It seems MSI has taken several different lines of Mobo's, removed some
    components and called the board something else with a sticker.

    My questions is (Finally): What is the fastest processor these boards
    will support?

    Looking at the BIOS update page, it seems that these boards might
    support the XP 1700+ chips and no faster.

    Does anyone have any experience with either the K7T Pro2 VER:1, K7T
    Turbo VER:3 or the MS-6330 lite family in general?

    I would like to get a couple of cheap used Athlon chips to try out but
    I don't want to buy XP 2200's if the boards dont support those chips.
    It would seem these boards would of course be limited to the 133/266
    bus Athlons.

    Many thanks

    MHz Tweaker, Jul 3, 2004

  2. MHz Tweaker

    rstlne Guest

    It seems MSI has taken several different lines of Mobo's, removed some
    The kt133 chpset in the 6330 (ver1?) will only get maybee 100 to 110 fsb and
    after that it's shit
    the kt133a will do up to 133 fsb without much trouble
    you can buy a duron mobile 1ghz for 10£ (15/18$)
    With that you could run at 100*15 (would need wire trick/pin mod) and have a
    1500 duron (1500 real not pr)
    the 133 chip you could put a unlock'd barton 2500+ in it and set it to 15 *
    133 and be at like 2600+ pr (might need wire trick)

    the 6330's (early on) had lots of faults so beware putting a chip in it..
    your main factor to keep in mind is the FSB that it can support to the
    processor.. After that it's voltage.
    Screw the charts and just read a bit about the processors ;) .. If it
    supports 133fsb or above then the unlock'd barton 2500+ is probably the best
    deal around (that's if the highest multi is 15, but I think it is) Keep in
    mind that there are lock'd and unlockd bartons.. all Mobile chips are
    unlock'd and should work on the VIA chipsets with the pin mods..

    Good luck :)

    rstlne, Jul 3, 2004

  3. MHz Tweaker

    Ski Guest

    The kt133 chpset in the 6330 (ver1?) will only get maybee 100 to 110 fsb and
    The late model 6330 had a p-4 connector on it,
    thats the only one worth spending any time/money on.

    Mine last ran with a 2600 mobile chip and mushkin ram
    at over 150fsb...cleared just under 11,000 in 3dmark2001se.
    CPU MSR needed to get to the 15X multi...
    any socket A will run with any socket a proc if you use the wire trick.

    On the other hand, my two other earlier 6330s sucked,
    voltage regulator died in both of 'em...kt7pro2 and turbo V.1
    coulda had something to do with my early overclock attempts.

    Ski

    Ski, Jul 4, 2004
  4. MHz Tweaker

    rstlne Guest

    The late model 6330 had a p-4 connector on it,

    Yes the regulators suck'd..
    The Processors vregulator died on mine, with an amp, and some caps too..
    this was with a 800 athlon .. for about 3/4£ tho you can fix them (with a
    good regulator) or maybee 10/15£ if you cant do the work yourself

    rstlne, Jul 4, 2004
  5. MHz Tweaker

    Ski Guest

    Yes the regulators suck'd..
    Dunno what the exchange rate is,
    but for around $50-60 you can get a MSI KT6V (or KM2M if you need to run SDram)

    Unless you have the parts laying around
    AND can fix it yourself, it might be a waste of time.

    Ski

    Ski, Jul 4, 2004
  6. MHz Tweaker

    MHz Tweaker Guest

    thanks for all the advice everyone. I hope to pick up a used Athlon
    1800XP Palomino core chip locally from a guy today. AMD says that the
    chip should run with the K7T Turbo/MS-6330 Lite boards. I've been
    reading up on the unlocking trick to the Palomino's as well, where you
    fill in the laser cut pits and connect the five L1 bridges.

    I have no idea what BIOS is on any of the 3 boards. Does anyone think
    there will be an issue of getting the 1800XP to function in the boards
    long enough to update the BIOS to say version 3.6? In other words,
    would a very early BIOS on these boards keep the board from booting
    DOS with the 1800XP chip?

    thanks

    MHz Tweaker, Jul 4, 2004
  7. MHz Tweaker

    rstlne Guest

    thanks for all the advice everyone. I hope to pick up a used Athlon
    There shouldnt be an issue..
    It probably wont say 1800xp. It will probably just say running at xxxx mhz
    (if they run for you at all)

    rstlne, Jul 5, 2004