MS-6330 Lite (K7T Turbo VER:3 and K7T Pro 2 VER:1) and Athlon 1800XP... no worky

Discussion in 'MSI' started by MHz Tweaker, Jul 4, 2004.

  1. MHz Tweaker

    MHz Tweaker Guest

    OK so I have 3 motherboards that were given to me.

    qty 2 of the MSI K7T Turbo ver:3 and one K7T Pro 2 ver:1

    I bought a used Athlon 1800XP chip with the Palomino core to try them
    out.

    All the Boards seem to use the KT133a chipset

    I have a single 256mb stick of Crucial PC133 CAS2 SDRAM for testing.

    I've used a variety of Vid cards from various AGP to PCI cards

    I can hit the soft power on and the CPU fans and power supply comes on
    but none of the boards will post or give any video with this chip.

    My question is: Does this chip need to be modded in some way to work
    with these MSI boards? I read about unlocking them by connecting L1
    bridges and doing wire tricks etc....

    I've done some searching with Google to try and figure this out but
    end up in forum links etc. but with no real details or how-to guide in
    doing this stuff.

    My test power supply is an Enhance 350 watt unit that has the
    following ampage:

    +3.3v - 28amps
    +5v - 30 amps
    +12v - 15 amps

    I have no other components connected to the power supply. It's just
    the mobo's and a Vid card on the test bench.

    any help will be greatly appreciated

    MHz Tweaker, Jul 4, 2004

  2. MHz Tweaker

    MHz Tweaker Guest

    Yeah.... I don't have any LED's on any of the boards. They are the
    MS-6330 Lite's. The heatsink does not seem to be getting warm at all.

    Is there a way to check the VR's with a meter to see if they are bad?
    I'm guessing they are the square things with 3 legs coming out one
    side. There are 8 of them on the K7T Turbo board. Hell... the
    regulators (if those are) are not even warm to the touch and I know
    they are supposed to get hot.

    I just bought the CPU today locally from a guy who has a bunch of
    things from 4 systems he's parted out. He said it was tested and
    seemed very meticulous in his work.

    I'm going to mess with the boards some more, but it's weird they all
    act the same way.

    I may just grab one of these up the street from where I live:
    http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=13-131-486&depa=0

    that is after I have the CPU tested and see if it's good with my own
    eyes.

    MHz Tweaker, Jul 5, 2004

  3. MHz Tweaker

    rstlne Guest

    What do the diag led's give
    (are you sure the cpu is good?)
    and also if the regulators are gone on the boards they will show a bad cpu
    on the led's..
    Feel the cpu's heatsink when the system is running.. Is it warm?.. If it's
    COLD to touch then the VRegulators are gone..
    If the cpu is warm and it's showing bad cpu then the cpu could be bad..
    I wouldnt do any mod on the chip personally until I know that the board is
    working.

    rstlne, Jul 5, 2004
  4. MHz Tweaker

    rstlne Guest

    The square bits with the pins on are the amps.. There is a flat surface
    mount 16 pin chip near them..
    http://www.syndrome-oc.net/img/articles/msivmod/ReperCI2.jpg

    When the unit is on, then touch the top of that chip and see how hot it is..
    make sure that your holding the case or something and dont press down on it
    hard (just lightly touch it)..
    It should be warm but not overly hot.. If it burns your finger then it's
    gone..
    If it's cold to the touch then the problem may be somewhere else (the cpu
    just might not work in it, but I cant see that)

    rstlne, Jul 5, 2004
  5. MHz Tweaker

    MHz Tweaker Guest

    Ok... well this would explain it.... a pin is sheared off the bottom
    of the CPU chip.... damn. I guess I just got Fu%#d out of $40

    thanks for all the help eveyone

    MHz Tweaker, Jul 5, 2004