MS-6590, IDE Problem (2xHDD, DVD-r, DVDRW)

Discussion in 'MSI' started by Mike Winauer, May 12, 2007.

  1. Mike Winauer

    Mike Winauer Guest

    Hey everybody,

    I'm having a serious problem, which i havent been able to solve for
    hours
    of trial-and-error now. And i didnt find anyone on here who did have
    the
    same problem before me, but im hoping that someone of you guys out
    there can help me out, coz i'm quite frustrated by now.

    Here's my situation:

    I have a MS-6590 board (KT4 Ultra, AMD XP 2400+ CPU), with the latest
    bios i got my hands on (V1.4, right off the MSI website, dates back to
    2003)

    Up until now i had 2 HDDs running, Seagate Barracuda 7200.7, 200 GB
    each,
    and one LG GSA-4082B DVD burner drive. No problems ever.

    Now, the DVD burner died out, and i got a new one, another LG, GSA
    H42N,
    and also a DVD-ROM, LG GDR-8164B (coz im watching and encoding DVDs
    a lot on my computer), to save my burner drive from another death of
    overwork.

    Now, here's the thing: no matter what i do, the BIOS won't accept
    both
    DVD-drives at the same time, only the DVD-ROM, when both are
    connected.
    When only one of the DVD-Drives is connected, either burner or ROM,
    (along with the 2 HDDs of course), all works fine, but both HDDs AND
    both
    DVD-drives is a no go.

    I've tried numerous configurations:
    (in order Prim Master, Prim Slave, Sec Master, Sec Slave)

    HDD - DVDRW - HDD - DVDROM
    HDD - DVDROM - DVDRW - HDD
    HDD - HDD - DVDROM - DVD RW

    (and all of those versions with switched DVD-drives too)
    and i did get the jumpers right too, checked twice every time i tried.

    i also tried, goin on cable select, and letting the IDE-cable-
    connector colors
    decide which is master and which is slave (except for the Prim Master
    hdd of course)
    (i once read somewhere, that the black connector is always master, and
    the grey
    one goes to slave, is that information correct?)

    But no matter what i do, the DVD-ROM wont show up in bios, when i
    connect
    both DVD drives.

    Oh, by the way: the cable-select-attempt i made, had the effect, that
    i DID have
    both DVD drives in windows (yay!!) but, guess what, i did NOT have the
    2nd HDD
    drive in windows..... and this is not an option, i need them both.

    So, i'm out of ideas here, and i so hope that anone out there knows a
    fix for this,
    coz im pretty desperate here. Every help whatsoever is greatly
    appreciated!!

    Thanx in advance,

    Mike Winauer from Austria

    Mike Winauer, May 12, 2007

  2. Mike Winauer

    Zadok Guest

    On the ribbon: The Mobo connector is at one end and the Master
    connector is at the other. The Slave connector is off center and
    closer to the Master connector.

    -- Zadok
    ('¿')

    Zadok, May 13, 2007

  3. Mike Winauer

    lkboop Guest

    You have whats commonly referred to in the building trades as a
    "floating neutral". Exactly the same principle applies here i.e. you
    have a floating ground. This is a missing ground either broken wire, pin
    pulled back in the molnex connector or a broken wire inside the power
    supply. Easiest fix is to purchase a "y" connector, to allow you to
    run two devices from one of the power connectors and just mark the other
    molnex connector as bad and don't use it. Very common problem and very
    difficult to diagnose, mainly because of weird symptoms that are never
    exactly the same. The drive looks like it is alive but it gets it's
    ground through the IDE cable which messes up the voltage levels on the
    IDE cable and creates the problems that you're seeing.

    Good Luck

    Logan
    Riverside, CA U.S.

    lkboop, May 14, 2007
  4. Mike Winauer

    Mike Winauer Guest

    Thanx lkboop,

    thats one thing i sure as hell never would have considered.

    i DID consider that maybe my ac adapter ("Only" 300 watt)
    may be too weak, but that wasnt it either
    (i exchanged the vga board for an older one, tuned down the
    cpu via bios to lower its power usage and disconnected
    all ventilators except the cpu one, but no help there)

    faulty power wire..... gotta check that out....

    thanx man,

    Big Ups all the way over to California,

    MikeWin

    Mike Winauer, May 17, 2007
  5. Mike Winauer

    lkboop Guest

    And thank you for the thank you. Glad I could be of some assistance.

    Logan

    lkboop, May 18, 2007
  6. Mike Winauer

    mroovaz Guest

    Hi,

    Just found this theme, while looking for some info on KT4 Ultra HDD
    support.
    I'm going to buy new ATA133 HDD for my oldie :) and I am in a doubt.

    I was aiming for 250 or 320 GB HDD, but the MSI FAQ website states
    that this mainboard supports up to 160 GB HDD.
    Any problems with installing your 200 GB HDD's?
    Anyone tried larger disks?

    Thanks in advance

    mroova
    Warsaw, Poland