    mob to make sure nothing was shorting underneath. Still no beeps, etc.
    Wondering if the bios needs to be updated first before mob can handle the
    Sempron. Any thoughts on my problem?

    DrB, May 4, 2009

  2. DrB

    Paul Guest

    Look at the BIOS release notes. I see "Version 1.2 - Support K7 Sempron Cpu".
    If the BIOS chip has a sticker on it, check the version number there.
    Otherwise, it may take some other processor to bootstrap your system.
    (Or the usage of an EEPROM programmer, to update the BIOS.)

    KM4M-V

    http://www.msi.com/index.php?func=proddesc&maincat_no=1&cat2_no=&cat3_no=&prod_no=589

    BIOS

    http://www.msi.com/index.php?func=downloaddetail&type=bios&maincat_no=1&prod_no=589

    Picture

    http://www.msi.com/uploads/prod_5ac514dbd79ff2c34b91634cc442b4b5.jpg

    Also, when your ECS board died, did it damage the Sempron while doing so ?
    What part of the ECS board failed ? Was it something related to Vcore (circuitry
    near the processor socket) ?

    When you visually inspected the processor, was there any discoloration
    or damage evident ?

    OK. I had a look at the picture. Did you plug in the ATX12V 2x2 power
    connector ? It is located to the left of the Northbridge heatsink.
    I bet you're just missing power to the processor.

    Paul

    Paul, May 8, 2009

  3. DrB

    drb Guest

    Thanks for your detailed thoughts. Decided to take the board back and wait
    to buy another brand that is already rated for the Sempron. I really think I
    had to update the bios but did not have another socket 7 processor
    available.

    drb, May 10, 2009
  4. DrB

    Paul Guest

    Did you have the 12V cable plugged in ? It is square, with a 2x2 pin
    pattern. Two wires are yellow, and two wires are black in color.

    Paul

    Paul, May 10, 2009
  5. DrB

    DrB Guest