    What gives. I removed all programs that were running in the back ground
    before I tried the downloads.

    Mike

    axipolti, Jun 9, 2005

  2. axipolti

    NoNoBadDog! Guest

    You should never download MS drivers for your hardware. Always use those
    supplied by the manufacturer (Dell). The MS drivers are not the same as
    those supplied by Dell, and may degrade the performance of your computer.

    Bobby

    NoNoBadDog!, Jun 9, 2005

  3. The drivers supplied by Microsoft are from the hardware manufacturer, Dell
    in this case.
    The manufacturer pays to verify a driver meets standards and at that point
    Microsoft distributes the driver.

    Otherwise you are correct, it is always best to get drivers directly from
    the manufacturer and not from Microsoft.
    If Windows Update shows a driver as a Driver Update, check the driver at the
    manufacturers website and determine if you need it.
    If a driver is a Critical Update, there is a reason the manufacturer and
    Microsoft have made that determination.
    Still go to the manufacturer but in this case, you should strongly consider
    the newer driver from the manufacturer.

    --
    Jupiter Jones
    http://www3.telus.net/dandemar

    Jupiter Jones, Jun 10, 2005
  4. axipolti

    fred Guest

    Wrong, always use drivers recommended by MS Update -after- you've updated
    to the latest Dell stuff.
    First but not only. HW mfgs stop providing new fixes/versions at some point
    and often that's before MS does.
    Nonsense.

    fred, Jun 10, 2005
  5. axipolti

    NoNoBadDog! Guest

    Microsoft offer basic driver sets for popular hardware. This is for the
    benefit of enterprise level hardware on which manufacturers "extended"
    drivers are not needed. While some of these drivers are supplied by the
    manufacturers themselves, quite often they are generic non-OEm drivers
    developed by Microsoft. In general terms, these drivers are baseline
    drivers, intended for installation on mission hardware with a minimum
    footprint and still provide functionality.
    They are not and never have been recommended as replacements or enhancements
    to the manufacturers drivers designed for consumer machines.
    A simple experiment will demonstrate this;

    1. Download the latest driver posted at Dell; save it on your HDD but don't
    install it.
    2. Download the "same" driver form the Microsoft website. Save it to your
    HDD and don't install it.

    Now, simply compare the file sizes.

    Hmmm....

    Bobby

    NoNoBadDog!, Jun 10, 2005
  6. axipolti

    Ben Myers Guest

    There's no set formula whether drivers from Microsoft or Dell are better. I've
    had drivers from the Microsoft update site hose up a system, so they should
    NEVER be characterized as perfection. Name brand manufacturers tend to lag way
    behind in providing updated drivers, because all they really care about is
    selling new systems, not supporting existing ones.

    The bottom line is that very few desktop and server systems use customized
    chipsets, and drivers are tightly tied to the chipset. (Way back when computers
    cost thousands of dollars, Compaq and others imposed on chipset manufacturers to
    make some chips a little different. Once Compaq found out the high cost of
    supporting custom chipsets, it then began using standard ones across the
    board(s). )

    Me? I almost routinely go to the web site of the chipset or motherboard
    manufacturer. For example, the drivers from the Intel web site are just fine
    for motherboard chipsets and built-in Intel "extreme graphics". The chipset
    manufacturer does all the work to correct driver defects, then issues copies to
    Micro$oft and the name brand manufacturers and/or board manufacturers. So if
    you want the latest, go to the website of the chipset manufacturer... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Jun 10, 2005
  7. axipolti

    fred Guest

    If there's any content to that gibber it's hard to find.
    WOW, do you have any clue regarding these matters? You must claim that the
    color of the website banner come into this somewhere?

    fred, Jun 10, 2005
  8. axipolti

    fred Guest

    Myers

    Probably true for the chipset driver and display drivers but then that
    wasn't the issue at hand was it.

    fred, Jun 10, 2005
  9. axipolti

    NoNoBadDog! Guest

    The only thing worse than someone who cannot admit he's wrong is someone who
    is clueless calling someone else clueless.

    Bobby

    NoNoBadDog!, Jun 10, 2005
  10. axipolti

    NuTCrAcKeR Guest

    you are ignornat.

    I agree with the otherguy ... never install device drivers via windows
    update. They are the baseline reference drivers, not the preferred OEM
    drivers. They are there largely, as the other guy said, to get basic
    plug-n-play support for devices until you can install the current OEM
    drivers for the devices.

    Just 2 days ago, I accidently downloaded a CMedia sound driver via windows
    update. My board has an nForce 2 chipset, so its an nVidia audio chip.
    Windows update mis-identified my hardware. the driver that was downloaded
    and installed stopped the sound from working AT ALL. I had to do a driver
    rollback to get my sound back.

    That is just 1 instance, and over the years there have been many others.

    On the servers I manage, there are often new Intel, HP, Emulex, etc drivers
    available, and I would get fired if I ever let WU install those.

    Moral of the story ... DO NOT USE WU FOR DEVICE DRIVER INSTALLS. EVER.
    PERIOD.

    have a nice day

    NuTCrAcKeR, Jun 10, 2005

  11. Wrong, always use drivers recommended by MS Update -after- you've updated
    to the latest Dell stuff.

    First but not only. HW mfgs stop providing new fixes/versions at some point
    and often that's before MS does.

    Nonsense.
    [/QUOTE]
    As others have said, you are incorrect. For example, on my desktop I
    have an ATI card and Windows Update wants me to use the update published
    in February of this year over the Catalyst driver published today
    (6/9/05) by ATI, themselves. I agree that in the very long run, when
    OEM's stop providing drivers for products that have reached their
    end-of-life periods, you ought to use ones put out by MS. However, in
    the case of products who are still supported by their producers, it's in
    your best interest to use OEM publishers latest drivers.

    Nicholas Andrade, Jun 10, 2005
  12. axipolti

    fred Guest

    Get a clue. What I said and is the standard procedure for the competent is
    to download and install the latest from the system mfg and/or component mfg.
    THEN if Windows Update still offers a driver for the gadget then by all
    means download and install MS's version.
    A moral from the clueless.

    fred, Jun 10, 2005
  13. axipolti

    fred Guest

    Right, usually Windows Update stops offering a driver if the one on the
    system is newer than MS's. I wonder what's happening there?

    fred, Jun 10, 2005
  14. axipolti

    NoNoBadDog! Guest

    ATI has just released the Catalyst 5.6 drivers for their video cards. S.
    you are telling me that I should install these drivers (released yesterday),
    and then go and download the driver "update" on Windows update that was
    released over 4 months ago?

    You are the clueless one.

    Since you cannot mount a defense for the drivel you are spewing, perhaps it
    is time for *YOU* to realize that when one makes a mistake and is not
    willing to admit it, it might be better to simply STFU.

    You continue to show your complete ignorance of the relevant facts here.

    Welcome to the killfile.

    Bobby

    NoNoBadDog!, Jun 10, 2005
  15. axipolti

    NuTCrAcKeR Guest

    agreed. He made my killfile filter as well

    NuTCrAcKeR, Jun 10, 2005
  16. | > Microsoft offer basic driver sets for popular hardware. This is for the
    | > benefit of enterprise level hardware on which manufacturers "extended"
    | > drivers are not needed. While some of these drivers are supplied by the
    | > manufacturers themselves, quite often they are generic non-OEm drivers
    | > developed by Microsoft. In general terms, these drivers are baseline
    | > drivers, intended for installation on mission hardware with a minimum
    | > footprint and still provide functionality.
    |
    | If there's any content to that gibber it's hard to find.
    |
    | > They are not and never have been recommended as replacements or
    | enhancements
    | > to the manufacturers drivers designed for consumer machines.
    | > A simple experiment will demonstrate this;
    | >
    | > 1. Download the latest driver posted at Dell; save it on your HDD but
    | don't
    | > install it.
    | > 2. Download the "same" driver form the Microsoft website. Save it to
    your
    | > HDD and don't install it.
    | >
    | > Now, simply compare the file sizes.
    | >
    | > Hmmm....
    |
    | WOW, do you have any clue regarding these matters? You must claim that
    the
    | color of the website banner come into this somewhere?

    Fred,

    Baddog is exactly correct and seems to know (on this topic at least :)
    exactly what he's talking about.

    Downloading device drivers from WUD is a bad idea. Spend a little time in
    the Microsoft Public Newsgroups and you'll find that even Microsoft MVPs
    recommend obtaining drivers from the manufacturer of the device as opposed
    to WUD.

    As baddog correctly stated the drivers offered @ WUD basic functionality
    generally are missing extended functions that the manufacturers driver
    provide.

    A frequent thread in the MS Newsgroups goes something like;

    "I just downloaded a driver from Windows Update and now my
    (fill-in-the-blank) doesn't work anymore."

    The response is invariably, "don't get your drivers from Windows Update. Go
    to the manufacturers support site for your computer/device and obtain as
    driver there."

    --
    Doug

    I'm not an MVP a VIP nor do I have ESP.
    I was just trying to help.
    advice herein.
    No warranty is expressed or implied.
    Your mileage may vary.
    See store for details. :)

    Remove shoes to E-mail.

    HillBillyBuddhist, Jun 10, 2005
  17. axipolti

    Ben Myers Guest

    Equally true for network cards, audio cards, and just about any other hardware
    you will find in a computer... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Jun 10, 2005
  18. axipolti

    Ben Myers Guest

    What's happening is that you can't trust Microsoft's update to always do the
    right thing. This has always been the case. As with anything else Microsoft
    touches, they have made software updates so damned complicated that they confuse
    themselves... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Jun 10, 2005
  19. axipolti

    Ben Myers Guest

    " HW mfgs stop providing new fixes/versions at some point and often that's
    before MS does." Huh? This gives me the impression that Microsoft has a whole
    bunch of worker bees scrutinizing the drivers and fixing them up. And we are
    supposed to think that Microsoft is so gracious and caring that they would do
    this? Sure! I'd like to buy the Brooklyn Bridge while we're at it, too.

    First, to get hardware device drivers onto the Windows installation CD and or to
    get the latest versions of drivers onto the Microsoft update site, the chipset
    developers (e.g, Intel and VIA for motherboards; Intel, ATI and nVidia for
    graphics; Intel, 3com, Realtek for network cards; Conexant and PCTel for modems;
    Creative and ADI for audio) first pay Microsoft for the privilege of including
    the drivers on the install CD, then they pay to have each edition of drivers
    tested in Microsoft's Windows Hardware Quality Labs (WHQL), and they probably
    pay by the megabyte for space on the update web site. WHQL DOES run some
    pretty extensive tests on the drivers before they are affixed with an electronic
    WHQL certificate and made available as updates.

    Why are updates even done by the hardware manufacturers? Three reasons. The
    one most people should be concerned about is to fix defects. The next is to fix
    glaring performance problems, such as those revealed recently by a 3rd party
    company testing network drivers. The third, usually the case for ATI, nVidia
    and Intel, is to incorporate new hardware into an omnibus driver, i.e. a single
    driver set that supports a wide variety of chips. Examples are Intel's
    800-series motherboard chipsets and nVidia's family of graphics chips.

    Many hardware manufacturers, especially those of low-volume devices such as
    scanners and special purpose printers, often do not submit their drivers to WHQL
    because it is too expensive to do so.

    Hardware manufacturers often augment their driver sets with additional
    utilities, which you will not find on the Microsoft update site. Examples might
    be better fine-tuning of graphics capabilities (ATI, nVidia, Matrox) and
    additional audio features (ADI and Creative).

    Now where is it that the supposed Microsoft hardware driver developers enter
    into play in the above scenario??? ... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Jun 10, 2005
  20. Yeah, it's confusing. I've had some bad results with WinUp
    mis-identifying hardware and loading drivers that cause it to stop
    functioning, so I'm wareful of device drivers from M$. IMHO, the
    order of precedence is:

    Drivers from the device manufacturer (Intel, ATI, nVidia, etc). These
    will almost universally be the latest and greatest drivers, with all
    the current performance enhancements and bugfixes.

    Drivers from the computer manufacturer (Dell, etc). These are
    nessesary in some cases, where the device manufacturer's generic
    drivers aren't applicable to your custom hardware. For instance,
    laptop video drivers are in this category.

    Drivers from MicroSoft. These aren't always evil, BTW, I've had M$
    drivers automatically discover what type of video card I have and
    install a functional (if not optimal) set of drivers, so I can then
    know what vendor to check for the latest drivers. However, they
    should be either a last resort or a preliminary diagnostic tool.

    William P. N. Smith, Jun 10, 2005