    Which one should I use and why, and how come WinUp is still
    complaining about wanting 52.16 when I have 71.89 installed, and why
    is a video driver a "High Priority Update"?

    William P. N. Smith, Jun 11, 2005

  2. axipolti

    fred Guest

    How many infected bot PCs owned by the unaware are all over the Inet causing
    problems for everyone? The correct advice is that all should enable MS's
    Automatic Updates. That improves the general security environment for all.
    Any of you that end up with bot-s and disabled Automatic Updates shown be
    drawn and quartered.

    This kind of advice by alleged experts has been infecting the PC industry
    for years. Just recently a real expert at MS finally got in public view
    that one should write down their strong passwords and keep them in a
    convenient and modestly secure location. Not doing so simply results in
    weak and always the same passwords which is MUCH WORSE than the occasional
    exposure of the password note.

    fred, Jun 11, 2005

  3. axipolti

    fred Guest

    Repost with release dates. Without them your post is meaningless.

    fred, Jun 11, 2005
  4. Can't agree with you there, Fred. That advice would have resulted in
    about 10 percent of PCs becoming inoperative when XP SP2 came out.
    I've got lots of examples of WinUp getting things wrong, where blindly
    installing stuff breaks things.

    William P. N. Smith, Jun 11, 2005
  5. nVidia's version numbers aren't monotonic and increasing by date?

    William P. N. Smith, Jun 11, 2005
  6. axipolti

    Pen Guest

    Yes they are. He's just wrong.

    Pen, Jun 11, 2005
  7. axipolti

    fred Guest

    Without release dates they're meaningless.

    fred, Jun 11, 2005
  8. axipolti

    fred Guest

    Utter nonsense. Over 99% of folks installed SP2 with no significant
    problems.
    I'm sure that's true in the systems around you where good procedure is in
    doubt.

    fred, Jun 11, 2005
  9. axipolti

    fred Guest

    Not relevant. Versions PLUS release dates are always needed.

    fred, Jun 11, 2005
  10. axipolti

    Ben Myers Guest

    We've had our share of Dellbots here. Could fred be a Micro$oft-bot? And an
    insulting one at that! ... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Jun 12, 2005
  11. axipolti

    fred Guest

    Indignant NG trolls always soon show themselves when then run dry of
    technical expertise and revert to wolf pack personal attacks.

    fred, Jun 12, 2005
  12. Version: 71.89
    Release Date: April 14, 2005
    WHQL Certified
    Release Date: 05/06/2003

    [Grrr, that machine is already in the 'return to client' pile, I'll
    haul it out and put it back on the bench later...]
    [Much later...]

    "Date last published: 8/2/2004"

    OK, now what?

    William P. N. Smith, Jun 12, 2005
  13. axipolti

    Tom Scales Guest

    Fred, or as you put it, fred (capitals too tough for ya?),

    Ben has been of great value here for a long, long time, sharing his help,
    for free, to newsgroup readers.

    You, on the other hand, showed up recently with consistently bad advice.

    Tom

    Tom Scales, Jun 12, 2005
  14. axipolti

    fred Guest

    Did I say "Indignant" when I meant to say indigent indigenous wolf pack?

    fred, Jun 12, 2005
  15. axipolti

    Tom Scales Guest

    Yes, we can always tell when trolls start calling names.

    They know they''re wrong.

    Tom

    Tom Scales, Jun 12, 2005
  16. No, you're meaningless.

    Sparky Spartacus, Jun 12, 2005
  17. No one, including you, ever knows what you meant to say.

    Sparky Spartacus, Jun 12, 2005
  18. Source? A quick look at many web site forums from around
    August/September of last year seems to point otherwise.
    That's not necessarily true, I had a built a system a little after SP2
    was being pushed through Windows Update. I had automatic WU set to
    notify, and decided to manually install SP2; unfortunately SP2 had an
    issue with my mobo and wouldn't boot to any mode if you were using a
    Prescott on it after the "upgrade" (and left me no means to roll it
    back). Since the system was new, I had no data and decided to give it a
    shot by slipstreaming it -- same result. It ended up taking a BIOS
    update released about a week later for the system to work with SP2. If
    this had been a production box, I would have been pissed. The
    motherboard was an upper level model by Abit, not some generic crap. So
    I'd recommend being cautious before jumping on the Windows Update bandwagon.

    Nicholas Andrade, Jun 12, 2005
  19. axipolti

    NoNoBadDog! Guest

    Nicholas;

    You can join the rest of the board in ignoring and killfiling this idiot
    that calls himself "fred".

    He gives nothing but bad information and then resorts to insults and
    name-calling when anyone dares to challenge his (lack of) knowledge.

    Bobby

    NoNoBadDog!, Jun 12, 2005
  20. axipolti

    fred Guest

    Not hardly. Anyone is welcome to check the NGs archives(Google) and see for
    themselves that the VAST MAJORITY then and now have no problems with SP2.
    Yes, the one major screw-up in SP2. A tiny munber of folks had Celeron-D,
    Prescott and EE CPUs on 875/865 chipset mobos back then and that DID hang
    the works. Of course by Oct. last year if one had flashed the latest mobo
    BIOS, as one always should, then there was no problem.
    bandwagon.

    If you'd flashed the latest mobo BIOS when you got it as the competent
    always do then you'd have never seen the issue.

    fred, Jun 12, 2005