MS Downloads of Dell Graphics Drivers?

Discussion in 'Dell' started by axipolti, Jun 9, 2005.

  1. axipolti

    NoNoBadDog! Guest

    Guess you don't flash many BIOS do you? By the posts you have made here,
    nearly all of which have been wrong, you fall squarely into the definition
    of "incompetent".

    Many competent users will not necessarily flash their BIOS just because a
    later one is available. In many cases, BIOS updates merely add support for
    processors made available since the last update. In that case, it would
    make no sense to update if your BIOS supports the processor you have
    installed.

    Also, many technically competent people (a category in which you shall never
    have membership) will adhere to the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" adage.

    You are a complete dolt and really should stop spewing your garbage and
    simply go away.

    The intent of these newsgroups is peer support, and since you are wrong 95%
    of the time, you are doing those seeking help here a great disservice.

    It is sad that a neophyte may find his way to this group seeking advice only
    to have you give him totally bogus information.

    Bobby

    NoNoBadDog!, Jun 12, 2005

  2. axipolti

    Hank Arnold Guest

    How long do you take to test AV updates? Being unprotected longer than a
    couple of hours is very risky... I've been using PC's for over 20 years and
    provided tech support for networks of over 200 users and more than a dozen
    servers. I've only experienced a problem with a signature once in all that
    time and only heard of a few situations like it. We use NAV CE and we check
    for and apply updates every 4 hours, automatically. The incredibly minimal
    risk of a problem is, IMHO, far outweighed by the risks of not applying
    them. We got hit once by the slammer (luckily only a few workstations and no
    servers) virus an hour before the (then) nightly signature updates. A year
    ago (after the 4 hour update strategy was implemented), we got hit by
    another virus an hour *after* the signature update. E-mail scanner caught
    about 200 instances.... No impact whatsoever to the organization.....

    Take the risk... update AV.....

    Now, as to SP2, I agree with you.... We have two vendors who would not
    officially support SP2. We had to roll it out slowly. No problems after 6
    months on 1/2 dozen workstations. We are now in the process of completing
    the rollout (along with WSUS)......

    Hank Arnold, Jun 12, 2005

  3. I must have missed the "automatically flash my BIOS to the latest
    version before automatically applying Windows Updates" switch, is that
    a registry entry I can set?

    Most people who own a computer don't know a BIOS from a biopsy, and
    IME setting WinUp to "fully automatic" is a recipie for (potential)
    disaster.

    William P. N. Smith, Jun 12, 2005
  4. I guess you didn't do too well in reading comprehension at school. If
    you had read my post, you'd have noticed I said, "It ended up taking a
    BIOS update released about a week later for the system to work with
    SP2". Now let me make this a little clearer: When MS started pushing
    SP2 through Windows Update, the latest BIOS still crashed. It wasn't
    until, "a week later," that a working BIOS was available. Please
    explain to me how I would have, "never seen the issue" when you take in
    the fact that the latest non-crashing BIOS wasn't released yet. Also
    you forgot to post a source for your 99% no problems claim.

    Nicholas Andrade, Jun 12, 2005
  5. axipolti

    NoNoBadDog! Guest

    Nicholas;

    You are wasting your time..."fred" never answers any post that point out
    his wrong answers, which happen to be every post he makes.

    Bobby

    NoNoBadDog!, Jun 12, 2005
  6. I agree, time to update the killfile...

    Nicholas Andrade, Jun 12, 2005
  7. axipolti

    User N Guest

    Which ever works best. Technically, that could be what is currently
    being distributed by the chipset manufacturer, the board manufacturer,
    the OEM, or Microsoft. My experience has been that that is normally
    (a couple of times wasn't) what is currently available from the chipset
    manufacturer.
    Driver updating is supposed to work something like this: Vendors tag
    their hardware with vendor unique and device [type] unique plug &
    play identifiers. When they think it appropriate, they submit [updated]
    drivers to MS for WHQL testing and distribution via WU. Windows
    Update inspects the system's plug & play identifiers and existing drivers
    and compares that to a database that contains latest driver and driver
    update priority info for the various device IDs. For a more proper and
    detailed description, you might start digging here:

    http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/winlogo/drvsign/WinUp.mspx
    http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/maintain/DrvUpdate.mspx

    Maybe if you delve into things you'll be able to answer why 52.16 is
    being offered to you. In any case, if the latest from NVIDIA is
    working well for you, I'd be inclined to stick with it.

    User N, Jun 13, 2005
  8. axipolti

    fred Guest

    I know of no automatic BIOS update but one SHOULD always flash the latest
    BIOS but not necessarily on the day it comes out. A more recent BIOS
    generally is not critical security wise but has more to do with performance
    and stability.
    No, it's MS's recipe for improved security. The average user who "don't
    know a BIOS from a biopsy" also has no ability to make an informed decision
    about whether a "critical update" is important. As MS's initiative suggests
    "It's strongly recommended that Automatic Updates be ENABLED!"

    fred, Jun 13, 2005
  9. axipolti

    fred Guest

    AH, somebody who actually has some real world experience.
    The same goes for WinUp Automatic Updates in most situations.
    Now there's a real clue.
    The same applies to SP2. It increase security dramatically. Why go slow
    and increase your vulnerability given that there is only a very small risk
    of significant problems with SP2?

    fred, Jun 13, 2005
  10. axipolti

    fred Guest

    Liar, no new BIOSs for 865/875 chipset Abit mobos appeared in that time
    frame. Better luck next time.

    fred, Jun 13, 2005
  11. axipolti

    NoNoBadDog! Guest

    He's Back!

    Can't someone put out some cockroach bait and maybe this "fred" will go
    away?

    Bobby

    NoNoBadDog!, Jun 13, 2005
  12. This is the last straw, after this post I am kill-filing you. The BIOS
    update for my 865 mobo (Abit AI7 --
    http://abit-usa.com/downloads/bios/bios_revision.php?categories=1&model=147)
    to accept XP SP2 was released on 09-22-04 (in case you are too studpid
    to understand, that's September), the previous BIOS update (which didn't
    work with SP2) was released on 05-24-04 (May, ibid). XP SP2 was pushed
    through Windows Update in August
    (http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/maintain/sp2aumng.mspx).
    If anyone needed evidence this asshole is full of shit, please feel
    free to quote this post.

    Nicholas Andrade, Jun 13, 2005
  13. axipolti

    fred Guest

    Thanks for proving my case. YOU LIED and now have confirmed that. 8-6 to
    9-22 HMM...."a week later"...HMMM

    fred, Jun 13, 2005
  14. OK, Fred, I was going to point out that you had missed this update,
    and ask you to confirm my choice of driver, but I've killfiled you, so
    never mind.

    What a Maroon!

    William P. N. Smith, Jun 13, 2005
  15. <Plonk!>

    William P. N. Smith, Jun 13, 2005
  16. A week later was relative to when I got my new mobo (somewhere around
    9-15, after MS was pushing the update), Plonk.

    Nicholas Andrade, Jun 13, 2005
  17. axipolti

    fred Guest

    CAUGHT!

    fred, Jun 13, 2005
  18. axipolti

    fred Guest

    CAUGHT!

    fred, Jun 13, 2005
  19. axipolti

    NoNoBadDog! Guest

    Must be past "freds" bedtime.

    Bobby

    NoNoBadDog!, Jun 14, 2005
  20. fred wrote:

    It's across the board advice like this which confirms your status as a
    Usenet slug.

    Sparky Spartacus, Jun 14, 2005